Chapter 31: 遇袭 ( Attacked)

When he said he would do it then he did it.

Next day, after Zhong Ziqi closed his stall, he sent Zhao Ning and Zhao Sheng back first, while he and Zhao Zheng’an walked around the Qing Shui town,buying some odds and ends.

Zhong Ziqi had a good idea of the gifts he needed to pick up for those two elderly members of the Zhong family. A few rolls of sheet cloth, some pastries and some meat would be enough. Don’t feel shivered from it, none of it was cheap, it cost him about 100 wen just for these.

When all the goods were bought, Zhong Ziqi thought it would be better to send them there today rather than tomorrow, to avoid them (he mean Liu xiu Juan cs) from having to make a trip to his place.

In the late afternoon, the road between Qing Shui Town and Zhao Jia’s village was sparsely populated. Occasionally, an unfamiliar carriage passed by. Zhong Ziqi was in a good mood, talking and laughing with Zhao Zheng’an.

Suddenly, from the trees on either side, two men emerged, looking at them maliciously.

Zhong Ziqi’s heart thumped as he took Zhao Zheng’an’s hand to turn around and walk back,barely just two steps away, two more men came out of the woods. There were four men in total, all of them big and strong, attacking from two sides. Zhong Ziqi knew that something was wrong.He doesn’t know who he has been messing with. Was the tree too tall to attract the wind?

[樹大招風 ;shù dà zhāo fēng

lit. a tall tree attracts the wind (idiom) / fig. a famous or rich person attracts criticism]

But with this situation in front of him, he could not afford to think about it, for it was clear that these strangers’s intention were not good, so Zhong Ziqi asked nervously:

“Gentlemen, what do you want? We have money, you can take it all, as long as you don’t hurt anyone.”

Zhao Zheng’an, beside him, clutched his hand tightly, his face tense and uneasy, he too sensed that something was not right.

One of them laughed ‘He he!’ , “The money -we’ll keep it, but the person —we can’t just leave it just like that.”

“Yes, who told you to mess with the wrong people, they told us to teach you a lesson, so we can’t just go back on our word.”

Another man said impatiently, “Cut the crap and settle this quickly!”

The other three also stopped talking, immediately they surrounded the two of them. After that, Zhong Ziqi only felt a pain in his leg. ”Ah!” As he let out a cry of pain, the next thing he knew, there was a period of ‘punches and kicks’.

“Help! Help! Someone please help!!!”

Zhong Ziqi shouted ‘help’ as he struggled and cried out in pain, hoping that someone would come out to help them, but his hopes were destined to fail.

“He he, no one can help you even if you shout through your throat.”

Zhao Zheng’an looked at them with a furious expression, especially when he saw them hitting Zhong Ziqi, he was even more furious. Completely unafraid, he ignored the two men who were going to take care of him, he rushed directly to Zhong Ziqi’s side, pushing those two men away and looking at them with a fierce face.

“Yo, you still dare to resist? beat him to death for me!”

The result was predictable. Zhao Zheng’an,no matter how fierce and tough he was, was still only one person, after resisting for a few times,he was overwhelmed by the increasing intensity of the punches. Too busy to take care of himself,finally he had to lie on top of Zhong Ziqi, firmly protecting him from harm.