Chapter 37: 沈昱北 (Shen Yu Bei)

“Zhao Amu, weigh an old hen for me.” Zhong Ziqi padded around Zhao Ning’s yard searching for which chicken was the fattest.

        “Okay, I’ll ask Sheng Zi to pick the fattest one for you. Qi Ge’er, how is Zheng’an doing?” Zhao Amu asked, standing beside him.

        “Much better, I’m thinking of reopening the stall in the next few days.”

        “Qi Ge’er, we haven’t told anyone about the recovery of Zheng’an. But soon, I think someone will see the first signs of it. I think Wang Cui Hua’s family will not give up and will definitely come back to haunt you, so you must think of a plan.” As they lived in the same village, Zhao Amu knew Wang Cui Hua’s character the best. He was the most shameless.

        Zhong Ziqi nodded: “I know, Zhao Amu.”

        With the little hen he had bought from Zhao Amu’s house, Zhong Ziqi returned home and put the chicken in the kitchen, he plucked and scraped it into a chicken soup.

Zhao Zheng’an’s face was bitter when he looked at the chicken soup, since the day he woke up, it was always soup, three meals a day, all three meals were soup, although Zhong Ziqi’s cooking was good, but he could not stand the light flavor of soup anymore. Besides that, he always runs to the toilet when he drinks too much soup, which is really a headache.

        How could Zhong Ziqi not see what he was thinking about so he gave him a sidelong glance: “I won’t give you the chicken soup anymore after you finish this. I won’t even make it for you later if you want to eat it.”

        Zhao Zheng’an gave him a ‘curry favor’ smile, knowing that the other party had a sharp tongue but a soft heart.All he had to do was to beg him, pretending to be pitiful then his heart would immediately be softened.

[刀子嘴,豆腐心/ dāo zi zuǐ , dòu fu xīn

lit. knife mouth but heart of bean curd; sharp tongue concealing a caring heart/

to have a sharp tongue but a soft heart (idiom)]

        “I want to reopen the stall in a couple of days.” Zhong Ziqi said to Zhao Zheng’an in a consultative tone.

        Zhao Zheng’an frowned, “I’ll go with you.”

        “You can’t go. You’re not well enough yet!” Zhong Ziqi said.

        “But what if I’m not at ease?” Zhao Zheng’an said.

        “Isn’t there still Zhao Ning and Zhao Sheng? It’s okay! I’ve already got the owner of the Jin Hua Restaurant to smooth things over.” Zhong Ziqi remembered that Zhao Zheng’an didn’t know yet, so he re-told the story.

        Zhao Zheng’an nodded, “You’re still very thoughtful, but you shouldn’t take it lightly! Buy a dagger for self-defence.”

        “Don’t worry, I have that in mind. Just wait at home, I’ll be back early.”

And so – things settled down happily.

        ※※※

        Jiang Nan – the land that piles up with gold and jade, the township full of gentleness, riches and honor, these are the evaluations given by those who have been there. Unlike the north, the people there live in peace and work happily. There are very few beggars passing through the streets. Everyone has a smile on their face, living up to its title as the land of fish and rice.

[堆金積玉 ;duī jīn jī yù

lit. pile up gold and jade / very rich]

[魚米之鄉 /yú mǐ zhī xiāng: (lit.) land of fish and rice / (fig.) fertile region / land of milk and honey]