Chapter 66: 买人 ( Buy a Person)

[Warning Alert: Since the setting is ancient time so as the title said, it was still common at that time for buying a person. ( In another word, slavery)]

On this day, people living in Qing Shui Town noticed that strangers with horse-drawn carriages were always stopping in an obscure alleyway. After that, someone enters the alleyway. In a few moments, they put a few large wicker baskets of stuff on the cart and leave again with the carriage.

"What are they doing?" Someone asked, wondering what was in those baskets.

Someone familiar with the situation heard him, looked at him up and down: "You don't come to Qing Shui Town often, do you?"

The man nodded at this and looked at him inquiringly.

"Have you ever heard of 'Quite delicious'?"

"Yes, I have. It's a rumour in our village that their You tiou and Mahua are really good! And the owner is extraordinary too!"

[Mahua: fried dough twist

You tiou : deep fried breadsticks]

"The owner is quite good. Doesn't he set up a big yard that specially sells you tiou and mahua? The people driving the carts are all from the restaurants in the nearby towns. They come here to buy from here."

The man shrank his neck after hearing that, he can't afford to provoke these people so he better walk around and go away! Don't bump into anyone!

Zhong Ziqi and Zhao Zheng'an stayed at the workshop all day. Zhao Xue Mei and others worked neatly and efficiently, they didn't have any problems at all. The representatives from the nearby restaurants had been buying You tiou and Mahua since morning non stop. They also bought a lot of it.

Since it was a lot of money, Zhong Ziqi was so happy counting the money that he almost passed out.However, these two menus alone were still too few so Zhong Ziqi thought through that he would have to think about adding several kinds of menus in the future.

At the end of the day, Zhong Ziqi counted the silver. He had earned several times more than he had at 'Quite Delicious'! At this rate, he would soon be able to earn his money back.

Zhong Ziqi was so happy that he cooked a table of good food for Zhao Zheng'an.But the result of it was that Zhao Zheng'an was so full that he sat on a chair and rubbed his stomach.

Zhong Ziqi was quite disdainful and said:"You're no good!"

Zhao Zheng'an laughed 'he he' at the scolding, but it didn't hurt and didn't tickle.

[不痛不痒 ( 不痛不癢 ) : bù tòng bù yǎng

lit. doesn't hurt, doesn't tickle (idiom); sth is wrong, but not quite sure what / fig. not getting to any matter of substance / scratching the surface / superficial / perfunctory]

"Wife, tomorrow I'll go to the human trader to buy someone and train him well, to be a steward. How about that?"

"Why do you suddenly want to buy someone?" Zhong Ziqi asked, puzzled.

"It's because I want you to take a break and not to be too tired, okay?"

Zhong Ziqi shook his head: "Let's decide on this later!" Although he wanted to stay home for the winter, it was a waste of money to buy a person. Moreover, he didn't feel comfortable leaving it to someone else.People in this day and age were very good at acting one thing in front of people and another behind their backs.

"I'll go and see. If there's a suitable candidate I'll settle on one. If not, then that's it for now." Zhao Zheng'an said after thinking about it.

"Hn."