-_- Ja'Marr Chase -_-

Requested by thesarangsense

Title: Taking the Leap
Warnings: None

————————

In Ja'Marr's mind, he was extremely good at hiding when he was nervous. His facial expressions never changed and he kept his body relaxed. He showed no signs of feeling nerves, so how would anyone notice? To the best of his knowledge, he didn't do anything that would hint that he was nervous.

That was to his knowledge though. He couldn't read the minds of others, meaning that he technically didn't know what people believed or not. He couldn't see what others saw either, so they could look at him and think 'that dude looks nervous' and he would never know. He just thought.

You knew his mindset, which meant that you knew he was nervous without him having to tell you that he was. If you hadn't known his mindset, there is one thing that he does whenever he's nervous: repeatedly taps his middle finger on his thigh.

It was something you had noticed back in college when he played for LSU. He did it before every game; didn't matter how important it was. You had never commented on it, but when you had stepped into the hotel room and spotted that little action, you felt like now was the time.

Few minutes were left until Ja'Marr had to go downstairs and get in the bus that would take him to Arrowhead Stadium. He was sat on the edge of the bed, staring down at the floor, and tapping that finger.

You crossed your arms and leaned your shoulder against the doorframe. "I can see through you."

Ja'Marr lifted his head and looked over at you, his brows furrowing at your words. "What do you mean by that?" He asked.

You sent a gentle smile his way. "I can see that you're nervous. That little thing you do with your finger," you pointed at his hand, which was still lightly bouncing, "I noticed it when we were in college."

At the mention of his nervous habit, he pressed his hands flat to his thighs and cleared his throat. He was embarrassed that you had noticed that. That habit had completely slipped his mind and he didn't realize he still did it.

You pushed off the wall and started towards him. "It's okay to be nervous." You told him as you sat down beside him.

He shook his head and balled his hands into fists, clearly frustrated. "Not at a time like this. I gotta be confident and hyped up. I can't let my nerves get the best of me."

"I didn't say to let them get the best of you; I said that it's okay to be nervous." You corrected him. "You don't have to hide it."

There was a beat of silence where neither of you said or did anything. He turned to you, the worry in his eyes catching you off guard.

"Are you nervous?" He softly asked, causing you to laugh a bit. You were confused and a little curious if he was joking, but he appeared too serious.

You shook your head. "Why would I be?" You questioned, receiving a shrug in response.

"You know, with all the rumors and shit floating around..." he mumbled, a heavy sigh passing his lips. "You okay with being alone in the crowd?"