🕸 Justin Herbert 🕸

Title: Pumpkin Version
Warnings: None

—————

You and your boyfriend liked to call yourselves mature adults, but that wasn't entirely true. In the defense of the both of you, he appeared to be very mature to the world and you always acted mature...until you were put around certain people. Secretly, you and Justin are children.

At first, neither of you planned to do anything for Halloween. Your house got decorated a little and you bought some candy to hand out to kids on Halloween night, but you had no plans to do anything big with each other. You both assumed your significant other would want to cuddle on the couch and watch Halloween movies; maybe a horror movie so you could get really close whenever the other would get scared, but you both had an idea...one you weren't sure the other would agree to.

Turns out, you both had the same idea. It came up two days before Halloween, when Kennan was telling Justin about how he carved pumpkins with his kids the night before, and your boyfriend turned to you. You were looking at him with the same look he was giving you and in that moment, you knew the other was onboard.

The next day, you went to Walmart and each picked out a pumpkin. Justin grabbed a stencil book and you collected the tools you would need to carve before paying and heading home. Now you were standing at your garbage bag covered kitchen table, opposite of your lover, with a pumpkin before you.

You had already cleaned them out and disposed of the nasty pumpkin insides, which meant it was time to start carving.

Looking down at your pumpkin, you hum in deep thought, wondering where you should begin. Justin is the same way, but unlike you, he's not sure what he wants to carve just yet.

"What are we thinking?" You ask, reaching down to grab a marker off the table. Your carving is going to be simple, but drawing it out will help guide you so that you don't mess up too bad.

Justin picks up the stencil book and starts to flip through it. "I'm think I'm gonna shoot for something spooky but cute."

"You're talented," you begin, bringing his eyes to you, "but not talented enough to carve my face into your pumpkin."

He briefly shuts his eyes and sighs in disappointment, but the wide smile that he tries to hide tells you that he's everything but disappointed. "I'm not going to lie to you, that was a good reply," he admits. "I didn't expect that and I'm a little ashamed that I didn't."

You giggle to yourself, eyes falling to the awaiting pumpkin. "I want to carve something unique. I feel like everyone does the same things."

"You do you, baby." Justin rips a page from the book and sets it down, picking up his own marker to start sketching. "You know I won't say a thing about whatever you choose. If you're happy, I'm happy."

The comment warms your heart. You're crouched down to be level with your pumpkin, so he can't see the smile on your face, but he knows it's there when he hears you breathe out, "I needed you in my life long ago."

"You have me now and that's all that matters," he whispers, unaware that your eyes are stinging with forming tears. You take a deep breath and push them down, focusing on the task at hand. Now is not the time to get emotional over how good your lover is to you. Your pumpkin doesn't need to see you cry.

You draw back and stab the knife into the front of the pumpkin, quickly getting to work on sawing away. (The sound it makes when you're cutting the pumpkin with the little pumpkin carving saws is so satisfying to me and I just had to say that)