{{{ Christian McCaffery }}}

Title: Sing Your Heart Out
Warnings: Mention of rude family member and insecurity
AN: A lot of y'all probably won't like this one because of my song choices. Not everyone likes Nirvana or their unique sound and none of y'all have probably ever heard of Shinedown. And if you haven't, I recommend their music. I love their music. It touches my heart in the most wonderful way. That's just a heads up for everyone, but feel free to change the music to whatever you want. I can't play guitar, so it's all in my imagination. I wish I was badass enough to play these songs...Enjoy!

—————

Christian expected you to tackle him the moment he stepped through the front door. It had been a few days since you had last seen him. He had an away game and you had work, so unfortunately you couldn't go with him. You were a supportive wife from the comfort of your couch though. He had laughed after every play, imagining your reaction to each play he took part in.

You didn't come running around the corner with a big smile like he expected. Instead, he was met with silence, which was odd. You usually kept the tv on. Whether it be music, a movie, a show, or a documentary, you always kept the tv on for background noise.

He sets his stuff down and listens, hoping he'll hear some sort of sign to let him know you're good. Your car is in the driveway and your purse is on the counter, so he knows you're somewhere in the house.

He steps into the living room and goes to call your name when he hears it. Singing. A voice he hasn't ever heard before.

With light footsteps, he creeps up the stairs and follows the sound of the voice. It pulls him in like a siren calling in her prey. He couldn't stop himself if he tried. Surely it wasn't you...It couldn't be you. He would know if you could sing. He's your husband, he knows everything about you. So who is singing in his house?

He has to fight with all his might to keep his jaw—and body—from hitting the floor when he peeks into the open doorway of your music room to find you playing guitar and singing. You're actually singing and he doesn't know what to do with himself.

A million questions fly through his mind. Since when? Has she always been able to do that? Is this new news or old news? Why is my wife who said she couldn't sing singing like an angel? What the fuck is happening?

"Come as you are, as you were. As I want you to be. As a friend, as a friend. As a known enemy." Your voice brings goosebumps to his skin and racks shivers up his spine. "Take your time, hurry up. Choice is yours, don't be late. Take a rest, as a friend. As a known memoria. Memoria, memoria, memoria."

Your back is to him, so you have no idea he's there. But he knows it's you singing. Every time you turn the slightest bit, he sees your jaw moving. That's the only thing that is making it real to him that you are really singing.

He slips downstairs and tries to do it all over again. He tries to pretend like everything is normal and his wife didn't just become that much more amazing to him. He already thought you was the greatest thing to ever exist, so he shouldn't be surprised, but you still somehow managed to surprise him at the most random times.

He shouts your name this time and the singing immediately stops. The silence is followed by the sound of feet pounding against the floor and a second later you're flying down the stairs and throwing yourself into his arms. He catches you with ease and repeats the same words "I missed you" again and again as he presses kisses down the side of your face. Then you start to go off about how he kicked ass on Sunday and how proud you are. He watches and listens to every word you say with heart eyes, but he can't get the sound of your singing voice out of the back of his mind.