o0O Evan McPherson O0o

Requested by joeyschick

Title: And Let Me Kiss You
Warnings: None

————————

"McPherson, you're up!" You heard Coach Taylor say from a few feet away. Your attention was pulled away from the game, moving to drift towards the kicker in question. When your gaze fell on him, you noticed how pale he looked. That was usually the sign that he was starting to spiral into a nervous wreck.

As not only assistant coach, but also his fiancée, you knew you had to be there for him. You tapped Brian, the offensive coordinator, on the shoulder and told him that you were going over to talk to Evan real quick before he had to kick. He gave you a thumbs up and you rushed over to your fiancé.

He was sat on the bench with Kevin sitting next to him, leaning over and trying to calm him down. As soon as the punter spotted you, he moved away to allow you to work your magic.

You crouched down in front of Evan and placed your hands on his thighs, giving each of them a reassuring squeeze. Your sudden appearance caught him off guard and he quickly looked up, but he calmed when he saw that it was only you.

You smiled up at him. "Hey, calm down. Pretend like this is kicking a field goal in the first quarter of a game: a field goal that doesn't really matter until later in the game."

He closed his eyes and shook his head, his hands moving to rest on top of yours. You could feel them slightly shaking. "But this isn't a normal field goal kick, baby. What if I miss?" He let out a humorless laugh. "We're fucked. We're gone. We're out. No more playoffs for the Bengals."

"Not with that attitude there won't be." You spoke in all seriousness and he opened his eyes to look at you. "Be more confident in yourself, Shooter. You're one of the greatest kickers in the entire world. You can do this."

His blue eyes stared down at you for a long time, but it looked like they were piercing through you and not really looking at you. He began to nod, slowly, but then much more quickly— more confidently.

He stood up, startling you and causing you to fall back on your ass. He quickly apologized and helped you up, landing an apologetic kiss to your forehead as Joe and the rest of the offense stepped off the field and onto the sideline.

Joe walked over to the two of you and clamped a hand down on Evan's shoulder. He kept opening his mouth like he was going to say something, but he was out of breath and struggling to get the words out. He didn't need to though, because what Evan said next was better than whatever Joe was going to say.

"Looks like we're going to the AFC Championship Game."

You whipped your head around and stared at him with wide eyes, but a pleased smirk was slowly starting to replace the surprise. "Someone sounds very confident now." You commented, over the moon happy with how confident he looked and sounded.

"You were right, but if you want me to be honest, I actually feel like I'm going to throw up." He confessed, as he grabbed his helmet and put it on. You watched as he took a deep breath, his chest rising and falling with the action.

You shot him a smile. "You've got this, Shooter. I know you're gonna kill it."

He softly laughed and cocked an eyebrow. "The good kind, right? Not kill our chance of possibly making it to the Super Bowl?" The kicker couldn't resist throwing out one more joke to get a wide smile out of you. It was his motivation; that beautiful smile of yours was. You were his good luck charm.