Chapter 20

They began to debate fiercely.

Even Annabelle, who was confident in her physical strength, endlessly changed clothes until she was exhausted.

After deciding on the dress, the hairstyle, and then the accessories...

It was almost dark outside when Annabelle's 'opera performance look' was completed.

"By the way, are you close with Prince Robert? To be invited to an opera performance as a partner..."

After it was all over, Marilyn, who had been on fire all day long, asked.

Leslie also looked at Annabelle with a rare serious expression.

Seeing their serious reaction, Annabelle responded as if nothing had happened.

"It's a one-time, casual meeting, so don't take it too seriously."

"But everyone else would place a heavy meaning on it..."

Annabelle smiled brightly at Marilyn's worried words.

"Well, it's none of their business then."

That day, after letting Annabelle go, Leslie was alone in her thoughts.

Being a partner in someone's opera performance meant quite a bit in the social world.

Even if it wasn't a romantic relationship, it could mean showing off a political friendship.

As far as she knew, Annabelle was scrambling to become a member of the Marquis Abedes.

Didn't she stop a terrorist attack through the Marquis of Abedes last time?

Was it okay to continue taking the opposite route to the Marquis of Abedes?

Leslie became worried unnecessarily because of her misunderstanding, so she confessed this to Braden that night.

"What? Miss Annabelle is going to the opera as the prince's partner?"

But Braden seemed to be obsessed with something else altogether.

"Don't tell Ian for now."

He said with his eyes glistening mischievously.

"He might find out how he feels if he can't get over the unexpected situation."

At Leslie's questionable look, he shrugged.

"You know, that day I confessed to you on impulse."

"Well."

Leslie snorted.

"He may be an impulsive idiot."

Without knowing his parents' conflicting predictions, Ian was getting ready to attend the opera without much thought.

~*~

On the day of the opera.

"Miss Annabelle?"

Robert's eyes, who came to pick me up at the front of the mansion, were wide open.

"Is it not okay?"

I asked with a little nervousness.

It didn't look bad in the mirror.

No, to me, it was really pretty, but I was more worried about what Robert would think.

As the prince's partner, I would draw attention from everyone, but I still didn't really want that.

"It's not alright."

Robert grinned and reached out his hand.

"If you look like this right now, you won't be able to point a sword at Ian Wade."