Chapter 31

"That's true."

Braden readily agreed with Leslie's remarks.

The only way she could be recognized as part of the Marquis of Abede's family was to win the swordsmanship competition.

"Ian will win again this time. There's a difference in their skills."

"...Well, that's a little vague..."

Leslie had a good eye for swordsmanship, though she was a bit tactless.

Until now, he had watched the battles between Annabelle and Ian without any tension in the distant stands on the days of the swordsmanship competitions.

These days, however, there were things that caught his eyes when he often saw them up close.

"These days, I often see it right in front of me, and I feel that the basics aren't as strong as I thought. I think she's had the wrong teacher ever since she was young."

"Oh yeah?"

"Come to think of it, I don't think Caitlyn would have given her a good teacher... It would have been impossible if she had received as much support as Ian."

Leslie said with a serious look and added with a sigh.

"But... It's meaningless for now. Anyways, it's still a long way from being recognized by the Marquis of Abedes."

Leslie's words turned out to be false the very next day.

With the permission from Prince Robert and the temple, the news that the paternity test of Annabelle and Marquis Abedes would be conducted in front of everyone a week later swept the capital.

~*~

When I returned home after saying that I would get permission from the Imperial Family to the Marquis, I was troubled.

'How can I make a request to meet Robert again?'

Contrary to the lies I had told the Marquis of Abedes, I had no way of contacting him.

But the worries did not last long.

The very next day, a dove flew over to me and stuck out its foot.

As I untied the note tied to its foot with a bewildered expression, the pigeon clapped its beak as if to read it.

「Miss Annabelle, I heard you're doing a paternity test. Don't worry about permission. I'll give it to you.

-Robert」

Seeing that the seal of the Imperial Family was also stamped on it, it seemed that the note from Robert was legitimate.

In fact, even in the original story, Robert used to contact Ian in this way.

Now that the Magic Stone has almost disappeared, the Magic Tower itself belonged to the Imperial Palace, so high-ranking magic was almost exclusively the property of the Imperial Family.

Magic items were so expensive that the general public did not use them well, and even if they were used, they were often traded in illegal items or back alleys, in which their effectiveness was not guaranteed.

In addition, the Imperial Family was a blessed bloodline, so there were places on the continent that only they could enter.

So I trusted him and sent a reply right away.

「Thank you very much, Prince.」

And as soon as I was afraid to send a reply, the rumors of my paternity examination intertwined with the High Priest's retirement ceremony spread like wings.