Chapter 44

Ian and Robert arrived later than expected at the auction house.

Ian was a little late to the appointment because of Annabelle, so it was a problem that he did not go the usual way.

"Who's there?"

So, at the back of the general store building, at which they arrived a little late, Robert spoke the code without hesitation.

"The password is... green."

As if the password was correct, the old woman wearing an old apron greeted them politely.

"Come in. Welcome."

And as soon as they entered, they murmured while passing by.

"You are quite late."

Robert smirked.

They started walking down the secret passage that the old woman had led.

The road in the dark was quite long, and Robert muttered after making sure no one was around.

"I guess it's true."

Robert and Ian moved at a fairly fast pace without realizing it.

Then, Robert said seriously, erasing his smirk at the old woman earlier.

"You should definitely get Morriett."

"It's a place of black magic..."

Ian couldn't hide his disgust and muttered.

It was the first time he had encountered such an outright illegal act.

Robert calmly explained.

"It's no use catching the workers, Ian. If you really want to find the chief executive, the one who actually practices black magic, you have to pretend to be a real customer."

"..."

"It's your first time doing this, so you didn't know, but camouflage investigations are basic in this situation. Even if it's unpleasant, you have to endure it to some extent."

"Okay."

Robert had been tracking these crimes for a long time.

If there was abnormal magic behind it that did not suit the world, a large amount of money naturally followed.

Robert speculated that the money was flowing into the political funds of Crown Prince Carlon.

"It's nothing else, black magic... That power does not fit in this world."

Robert muttered low.

"But it's strange that it's been so secretive for so long."

"...I see."

"I guess it's hard for them to get this far unless the crown prince of the empire takes care of them."

That was the reason why he couldn't bring the Imperial Guard himself and had to ask Ian for help.

The head of the Imperial Guard was Carlon.

Of course, by just having Ian, he was superior to dozens of those imperial guards.

"Then, is your goal to find the connection with the crown prince?""

"First of all, yes."

Robert nodded at Ian's question.

"But even if it's hard, I won't let this place go for now. It's the largest illegal site in the capital, and if we can, we have to capture them all."

While having a conversation, they felt a presence of people behind them on the secret passage and immediately shut up.