⁵Epilogue

Leslie, who was 21, had no doubt that Braden hated her.

It was reasonable in its own way, because the only time Braden, who always had a friendly and generous face, couldn't hide his stiff face was when he met Leslie's eyes.

From a distance, a kind and gentle person to anyone could not hide his displeasure with Leslie.

Even on the day of the application for the swordsmanship competition, he said he would give a sword to make her feel "completely defeated".

Leslie was in a pretty bad mood but decided to take it. She felt bad for a moment, but a good sword would always belong to her.

'And if I don't pick it up, he'll throw it away. What a waste of resources.'

When she received her old sword, she saved every penny she had saved so far to buy a better sword.

It was easy to decide because she thought she should buy something delicious with that money.

So she went to the Duke of Wade and received the sword politely, at the same time, she only thought, 'the rich aristocrats express their hate in a luxurious way'.

Leslie wasn't even interested enough to ask Braden at that time, 'why do you hate me so much?'

However, it was true that she was somewhat curious now, so Leslie asked Braden of that time seriously after 20 years.

"You... I hated you? Did I?"

Braden asked back with a rather dim look.

It was Leslie who was bewildered. Obviously, back then, Braden was mean to Leslie.

"Sometimes, you never showed me a good look. You kept arguing with me to be thorough, and you would sarcastically say, 'Are you still training with poor quality?'. People who don't usually do that are mean."

Leslie pointed her finger at the reason.

"There must be more than one or two good knights in the Knights of the Wade, and you've been sulking for four years for my refusal once..."

Braden sighed, brushing through his golden hair and spitting it out irritably.

"It's not that I hated you. Why would I hate you?"

"...What?"

"Who would choose a sword for months to give it to someone they hate?" (pr/n: Crying so cutee)

Leslie stared blankly at Braden. He didn't like her before, but he thought she was fine now.

No matter how many times Leslie asked for the past years, Braden said, 'It was because I loved you so much,' and he thought he was certain that she would fall for those words.

And she never asked for an honest conversation about that time because deep inside, she thought, 'I don't want to think about the time when Braden hated me'.

But it seemed that he really didn't hate her.

"Of course I felt bad every time I saw you. But it's not because of you..."

Braden said slowly, rubbing his eyes.

"...I just feel pathetic that I'm always swayed by you."

"You're being swayed?"

"You're not interested in me no matter what I suggest... I kept thinking about you."

Leslie's mouth opened to the truth she had only learned now. (tl/n: wow the parents are so much like the kids LOL)

"If I managed to find you in all the places where the common people go, you would be courteous and immediately distant yourself. Even though I knew that, I was still busy looking for you..."