Chapter 1

It was a hot day as the sun was blazing dazzlingly and its yellow rays were rising the temperature of the horizon. But the roads of Lahore were least bothered by this striking and ostensibly tormenting day of July since the traffic was more than it could even bear.

One of the parts of this jam was a yellow rickshaw which was still trying its best to get to its destination as soon as possible but all was vain in this handy situation. A girl wearing a white college uniform was sitting inside it. She had beautiful amber eyes which now were showing tints of annoyance. Her face and neck were filled with sweat and she was flapping the back cover of her register to get some artificial air.

Her other features were also complimenting her eyes as she had a small, straight nose, plump pink lips, and a fair skin tone. A small brown mole on her right cheek was making her look more stunning. Her dark brown hair was tied up in a french tail while a few strands were shadowing her face, which she was repeatedly tugging behind her ear in frustration.

Spotting a big mall on the left side of the road, she turned towards the driver of the rickshaw. "Uncle, please stop here. I have to buy something from that shopping mall."

"Okay, beta," the driver said and stopped the rickshaw instantaneously.

"I am coming back in a few minutes. Do wait for me," she confided the driver as she hurriedly hung her bag along her shoulder and pulled her white dupatta over her head. He simply nodded his head and she jumped out of the rickshaw.

The rickshaw was her private conveyance since she used to go to school. The driver was her late father's friend and he allotted his daughter to go with him since she was a child. Ajmal who was the owner of the rickshaw also considered her his daughter. So it wouldn't be wrong to say that she grew up with that. That was the reason, if she had to go anywhere, her mother always trusted Ajmal's uncle for this.

After entering the mall, she rummaged through the front pocket of her bag, and after a while, she came up with a white paper. She scanned through the words for an instant before going towards the row of the dairy products. This was the list of the everyday necessities which her mother gave to her in the morning to buy as some of the important kitchen items had finished. It was always her who used to purchase them for many years.

Purchasing everything on the list, she appeared with two big shopping bags in her hand and sat in the rickshaw again. Now the traffic also started to get loosen. Placing the ear pods in her ears, she closed her eyes while enjoying the music.

Inserting the key in the lock of the main gate, she opened it and walked inside. Strolling through the corridor, she entered the lounge where a smile crept on her face seeing her mother sitting on a settee, busy stitching clothes on a sewing machine. She placed the shopping bags on the table.

"AssalamoAlaikum Ammi," she greeted in a loud voice at which her mother looked up at her in admiration.

"My daughter has come? How was your day?" She asked but again started working on what she was doing earlier.

She pouted seeing her mother working like this and ambled in her direction. She hugged her from behind and kissed her cheek.

"Wow. Today you are pouring love on your mother," she chortled as she squeezed her daughter's face with affection.

"When I woke up in the morning, I saw you working. When I went to college, you were again working and now when I come, you are still working. Ammi, don't overwork yourself," she complained.

"No, my love. It's just about to finish. You are also tired. Go, get freshened up, and then we will have lunch together," her mother coaxed her.

"Okay then, till I come back, complete it. After that, I won't let you come near this machine. You also had a fever yesterday. You will have rest," she announced.