Chapter 42

Nisha looked at her mother in anxiety as the silence between them turned creepy. They just reached home after visiting the gynecologist and her mother couldn't even make it inside the house. She just fell on her usual sewing place in the corridor.

"This can't happen!" Tabinda suddenly yelled.

Nisha sighed and ran her palms through her face. It was a period of running away from truth for her mother and she knew if she would say anything, it could aggravate her anger more.

"The doctor could be wrong. That...that report might be false," she nodded her head towards the report showing a positive pregnancy test in Nisha's hand.

"We...we will see another doctor. That one didn't even know anything," Tabinda mumbled, her eyes getting wet due to dense emotions.

Nisha took a deep breath to steady herself down. She needed to act calm in the situation where her mother was dealing with so many sentiments. She sat beside her and held her hand.

"Ammi, the doctor wasn't mistaken or lying. I know it's true."

Tabinda glared at her and jerked away her hand. "Nisha...why...why did you do that? You didn't even think about me and your father."

Her eyes widened in shock. Why was she making it feel like she did a sin? Even though betraying her mother was perhaps a sin but this could never be. Ruhaan was her husband and they got married in front of the whole world.

"Okay then, even if it's true, nothing is gone yet.." Tabinda wiped her cheeks and grasped her shoulders. "Get rid of it."

Nisha's jaw dropped upon hearing this. She stared at her with a horror-stricken expression. Her mother should never mean what she was thinking it to be.

"Get rid of what?" Her voice was like a whisper.

"This baby. Abort it. It's best for you," Tabinda replied as she just told her to get rid of a pimple.

"Ammi!" She cried out and stood up. "How can you say this?"

"Because that's what you should do. This child will become a chain of your feet and you won't be able to have a divorce from him till its birth. Ruhaan can blackmail you with his child. He can make you do anything he wants. After that, he will keep you on rolls on the custody crap. And why would you give birth to the kid of your parents and your enemy?"

Tears fell from Nisha's eyes. Today after such a long time she cried in front of a person. "It's my child too. And I can't do what you are saying."

"Nisha, he will trick you again with now coming more stronger as the father of your child. It's better to undergo abortion before Ruhaan or your grandmother get the news," Tabinda reasoned.

Nisha brutally wiped the tears from her cheeks. "First of all, Ruhaan will be least bothered by this news. When I meant nothing to him then my baby will also mean nothing to him. Whatever he is doing right now is just to show me he is stronger than me and nothing else. He has no regard for me. Secondly, if he will show his possession over my baby, then still won't do what you ask for. I am not cruel."

"But you can give birth to a cruel person's child?" Tabinda smirked.

"Ammi, why do you keep forgetting this is my child too? If he is Ruhaan's then equally mine as well. And I won't do that to my baby. What's his fault? I won't follow the useless tradition of punishing children for their parent's sins. I will raise my baby and this discussion should be over now." She gave her mother a last tentative look before walking inside.

"And what will you do about divorce?" Tabinda inquired causing her to stop in her track.

"If Ruhaan had signed them then automatically the divorce will occur after this child's birth but if he hasn't then I will issue him papers again after the baby will be born," she explained. Even though, she knew Ruhaan had torn the papers. But it was not something that her mother should be knowing.