Chapter 37

Ruhaan's eyes were widening with every word he was reading in this letter. A new reveal and a new hit on his heart. It was his father's writing. He knew it quite well. And the faint ink with which it was written proved it might have been many years old.

It was a letter to Tabinda; Nisha's mother asking for forgiveness from her and his deceased brother for making him die. It was all the opposite of what he knew. It was his father who betrayed his brother, not the other way around. And it was a willful decision from him to give some share of the property to Nisha.

Another white letter was also there. He unfolded it and now it was to him.

Ruhaan, my son.

I know you have so much respect, admiration, and love for me. You consider me your role model. I am sorry to disappoint you, my son. Your father is a terrible person. I betrayed your uncle; my little brother who used to give me a father-like respect. I backstabbed me. He put his trust in me and I deceived him. Didn't even care about anything. Greed was hiding every rational thing from me. My brother who gave me his hard-earned money so that we could start a business together got such a fraud from me that he couldn't survive upon knowing the truth.

I made a naive woman widow and an innocent baby girl orphan. That child couldn't even see her father. "

Ruhaan stopped at this. He took a deep breath to calm himself down before darting his eyes back to the letter.

I didn't want my image to falter in the eyes of my children. What would they think their Daddy who they consider a gentleman is such a bad person in reality? Who couldn't even stay loyal to his brother? Now I think I was selfish to ask Amma Jaan to hide my crime from you and Rahmeen. I still thought of myself.

Ruhaan, you will get this letter when I will be gone. The major reason why I am writing this is because I want you to not act on impulse upon getting to know the truth. I am naming 500 million rupees from my property to Sikandar's daughter as a payback for what I did. I want to help them. I want to help this orphan girl who lost her father due to me. Don't let yourself become like your father."

And he acted exactly like his father. His fingers curled around the piece of paper as his jaw clenched. What did he do? He hurt an innocent girl who had done nothing.

Rutba Begum entered and her gaze fell to Ruhaan's hands. His face was giving her a perfect view of his inner turmoil upon reading this letter. She sat next to him on the sofa.

"It's my mistake. I should have given this letter to you when you came back to attend your father's funeral. He wrote it exactly to stop you from doing what you did now," she said, quietly.

Ruhaan looked at her with red eyes. "Dadi, what have I done?"

Rutba Begum sighed. "You should have discussed the will with me, Ruhaan."

He shook his head and ran his palms on his face. "I had no idea this would be the reality. Daddy always made it seem like his brother ditched him and I developed a hate for him. When I got to know about the will, I just deduced they blackmailed Daddy."

"Sufiyan only got the remorse after he suffered that life-threatening accident." Rutba Begum smiled weakly. "Since then his guilt was killing him bit by bit. He asked for forgiveness from Tabinda numerous times but she never forgave him. This will seemed to be the last resort for Sufiyan to lessen the weight of his betrayal a bit."

"Dadi, I broke the heart of an innocent girl. What should I do?" He held her both hands and peeked into her eyes.

She shrugged her shoulders. "What was to be done has occurred. You can't change anything now. Her mother hates you already and now she hates you as well."