Chapter 47

When they reached the street, Ruhaan already found two young boys playing cricket there. And what he was dreading when finally happened, he acted on impulse and pushed Nisha a bit behind. He covered her with his tall and broad frame and caught the ball aptly.

He scowled at the boys whose giggling ended finding him serious.

"Don't play here again. Go somewhere else," he ordered them.

"Sorry Uncle...we won't play here again. Please give our ball back," one of them pleaded with him.

"No!" Ruhaan declined quickly. "Go away. That's your punishment for playing carelessly like this."

Both children sulked and looked at each other. The taller one wearing red shorts shrugged his shoulders and whispered something in the other's ear. The boy with golden hair smiled sheepishly and gazed at Nisha with hope who was seeing the whole scenario with widened eyes. But it was not due to any fear, it was due to Ruhaan's proximity.

He was standing so closer to her that she was able to smell his perfume mixed with his manly scent. He was still holding her wrist and she hated to admit she still felt those butterflies in her stomach as she used to do during their first encounter and contact.

"Api, please ask Uncle to give our ball back. We won't do it again," the boy with red short begged Nisha with a low head and it made Nisha stifle a laugh at how reticent this rascal was making himself come across. She knew these boys. They were children of one of her mother's customers.

"Give the ball back to children," she asked Ruhaan who looked at her with a raised brow.

He sighed and threw the ball in their direction which the golden-haired child caught perfectly. "You are not going to play here now. Go somewhere else."

The kids nodded and even the taller one with golden hair gave a crooked toothy grin and they both ran off.

Ruhaan veered around and regarded Nisha. He still had his hand on her wrist and he was pleasantly surprised she didn't try to pull away from him. She was also gazing at him blankly. Her green eyes were twinkling and she too got lost in his ocean-blue orbs.

Ruhaan wished the moment could last forever and he would keep on holding her like this while drowning in her beautiful eyes.

"Are you okay?" He murmured after a while.

"I am," she replied.

"These children." He sighed. "They always play recklessly. But I am glad you are safe."

"Will you leave my wrist?" She suddenly demanded, making him stunned with an unexpected request. He quickly pulled his hand away even though he didn't want to leave her.

She rapidly opened the gate and rushed inside without giving him a chance to say anything.

Her heart was beating crazily in her ear. Why couldn't she control her feelings in front of him? Despite knowing his true self and how he wronged her, Nisha still couldn't bring herself to hate this man. She still loved him and she didn't know would she be able to stop doing that. That was her biggest failure to still get tricked by him indirectly this time.

She was stopped in her track by her mother who was inspecting her yet again from top to bottom. She was afraid Ruhaan might have done something to Nisha.

"How did it go?" Tabinda asked in a hurry.

"Everything is fine, Alhamdullilah," Nisha briefly replied as she sat on the divan in the hall.

"He didn't do anything, right?" She repeated her question which she implored at the time she went to meet Ruhaan to inform him about her pregnancy.

Nisha scoffed. "Ammi, when will you stop thinking of me as a pushover? I know what I have to do when I am with him. Rest assured; he can't fool me this time."