Chapter 9

Ruhaan slowly yet delicately moved his fingers in Rahmeen's hair and quietly watched her sleeping soundly. After he got assured that she had dozed off, he leaned down and kissed her forehead. It was dark now as they came back from the ice cream shop. He took Rahmeen there to change her mood a bit even though she was first refusing but later on, enjoyed her favorite ice cream.

"Sleep well, Rami!" He whispered before walking out of her room.

He stopped in his track when their grandma came his way.

"Did she sleep?" She asked.

Ruhaan nodded. "She is missing Daddy so much."

"Why wouldn't she? She was his little princess," Rutba Begum mumbled with a smile as the side of her eyes got wet.

"By the way, I wanted to talk something to you," Rutba begum said while eyeing him attentively.

"What is it, Dadi?" He raised a brow in question.

"What about we Dadi and Pota have some coffee together and then chat?" Rutba begum cracked a genuine smile at which Ruhaan smiled back.

"Why not?" He murmured.

Dadi: Grandmother
Pota: Grandson

_____________________

"I still can't believe Daddy left us like this, Dadi. Sometimes I feel he was unhappy with me that's why he left without meeting me for the last time," Ruhaan sighed as he remembered the bitter memory of the day he came back to find his father was gone. Twenty days had passed since his death, but they still couldn't come out of the sorrow.

They were sitting in Rutba Begum's room. Just a while ago, the maid came with two cups of hot coffee which was now in hands of both of them.

"Don't think like this, Ruhaan. It was just destiny. He wasn't angry with you, he in fact loved you so much," Rutba Begum tried to change his mind at which he gave her a sad smile.

"By the way, today your father's lawyer called me and told me to ask you to meet him. He wants to reveal your Daddy's will," Rutba Begum finally announced what she wanted to tell in the first place.

"But why me, Dadi. You should do it. You are our eldest." He who was sipping on the coffee stopped and argued.

"Beta, you are his son. It's you who is meant to hear his will. So tomorrow morning, you are going to meet Lawyer Ijaz Ahmad. I will ask the driver to drive you to his office. Okay?" She looked at him for assertion.

Ruhaan nodded his head in reply. How could he say no to his grandma?

_________________

The sunlight coming through the crevices of the sky-blue curtains of the door-sized window of his room disturbed his already raw sleep. Ruhaan sat up lazily while rubbing his eyes. His head felt so heavy and his eyes were aching. He couldn't sleep properly at the night due to the new place and also because of the depressing atmosphere of the house due to Sufiyan's death.

He uninterestedly ran fingers through his hair when he remembered something. He had a meeting with his Daddy's lawyer in the evening. He didn't want to go and even found all of this fuss disregarding and heartless since it was not even a month since his father's death. But still, he had to go.

Groaning, he walked out of the bed and strode towards the washroom to fresh himself. After taking a long shower, he felt at peace a bit. He had final exams in about two weeks as well and for this, he needed to leave again for Australia. He was a bright student but still, he felt that he was lacking in conclusive revision. It was his final semester of M-Phil in Business Administration and after that, he would be done with his studies.