Chapter 7

"Whether he lives or dies, I don't have any link to that person. So refrain from giving me his news from now on!"

Nisha stopped in her position when she heard her mother's angry voice as soon as she entered the house. She was talking on a telephone. After that, she flinched at the loud bang of the poor telephone on the wooden board.

She came from college just now.
She walked inside and reached the tv lounge where her mother was still looking at the telephone with red eyes as though she was going to burn the poor thing with the heat of her stare.

"Who were you talking to, Ammi?" She asked as she placed her bag on the chair.

"No one... I mean it was just a wrong number," Tabinda retorted.

"Oh!" Nisha mumbled as she took out a bottle of water from the fridge. She poured the water into a glass and gulped it down.

"You go and change your uniform. I set the food table, " Tabinda told her at which she nodded.

As they were having a meal, she remembered when her father's brother came in her way this morning. Should she tell her mother? After thinking for a while, she finally concluded that she should not hide this thing from her.

"Ammi!" She called her.

"Yes, Ammi ki Jaan," Tabinda said while she placed a morsel in her mouth.

Nisha smiled at this reference from her mother. She always loved when she called her like this.

"You know, that uncle from yesterday--",

Tabinda looked at her in alarm as her eyes widened, "what--what did he do to you?" She cut her off and asked quickly.

"He did nothing, Ammi. Be assured. He came to my college in the morning and asked me to let him talk to me. He was so insisting but I declined since you asked me to not meet him. Just that's the thing," she explained.

"You did well. And remember Nisha, you won't meet or talk to that man ever in your life. Except for your Dadi Amma, you are not going to talk to anyone from your father's side. Understand?" Tabinda ordered her.

"I won't Ammi. You can trust me. But...can I ask you one thing? Promise you won't get angry," she asked her while showing her puppy eyes.

"What is it?" Tabinda glanced at her with gritted brows as what she wanted to say that Nisha was scared that she would get angry but she asked her to go ahead anyway.

"Ammi, that uncle! I mean, does he regret doing it to Baba? His eyes...his eyes showed regret and like...you know he asked me to at least talk to him like--"

"Nisha!" She stopped when her mother called out loudly.

"How old are you?" Tabinda asked with a straight face. Nisha looked at her in confusion at her sudden question.

"Ammi!"

"I asked how old are you?" This time, Tabinda said it louder as her voice turned shrill. Nisha gulped down in panic. Her mother became a different woman whenever the topic of her father's family came.

"T...T...Twenty years," she mumbled.

"I have way more experience than your age is even. So don't fall into any trap. I know what is better for you and what is not. So do what I say. Understood?" Tabinda glared at her.

Nisha nodded as her eyes dropped down to her lap and she started fidgeting her fingers. "Fine, Ammi."

"Good. Now finish this. I make tea for you. You must be tired," she announced as she stood up.