Chapter 26

She woke up early today and enthusiastically performed her fajr prayer. She asked for Allah's forgiveness for disappointing her mother and promised HIM that she would never do the opposite of what she had told her.

Going to the kitchen, she decided to make breakfast for Tabinda. As she was placing the fried egg alongside toast and mug of tea in the tray, Rutba Begum entered.

"Dadi Jaan, I set breakfast for you on the table. Where did you come by yourself?" She looks at her quizzically.

"Where are you taking this to?" She pointed towards the tray in her hand.

"For Ammi. In her room," she replied.

"No, give me instead. You can't go to her before I have a word with her. She will get furious again."

"But Dadi--"

"Nisha beta. Try to understand. First, let me talk to her." She pulled out her hands towards her. "Give me this."

She grimaced before giving the tray to her. "Dadi Jaan, what about Aqia Khala and...Haider? Did they leave already?"

Rutba Begum sighed. "Haider has refused to marry you."

"What?" She almost screamed.

"You go and have breakfast. I go to your mother in the meanwhile." She squeezed her shoulders in reassurance.

When Rutba Begum reached Tabinda's room, she stopped in her track to find her already coming out.

"Amma Jaan, you?" She mumbled. "I was already coming to talk to you."

"I also had to discuss Nisha's matter with you. Come inside," Rutba Begum said.

They both went inside and sat on two sofas.

"Till how long are you going to do this? She hasn't committed any sin, Tabinda. She is a child. She just made a mistake. Forgive her. What happened the last day was a coincidence. Haider didn't come to pick her up. She was afraid of the rain. Ruhaan came by chance and she just accepted his offer. And those calls, they were just a few. They were just friends. If you want, I can talk to Haider."

Tabinda scoffed in defeat. "Because of the father, I lost my husband and because of the son, I not only lost my daughter but my sister as well."

"Ruhaan doesn't know anything," Rutba Begum argued.

"But your granddaughter knew everything!" Tabinda yelled. "Yet she maintained contact with him. I will never forgive her."

"Why are you digging into the past, Tabinda? Just let it go. The children can become a way to lessen the sourness of the brothers' relationship. Just stop this. Sikandar has long gone. Sufiyan even didn't have an easy death. He even asked for forgiveness from you multiple times," Rutba Begum reasoned.

"I am sorry I can't forget anything, Amma Jaan. This conversation isn't leading us anywhere. Let's come to the point." She straightened herself and looked directly into her eyes. "I love my husband and I vowed to myself that I will never have any contact with his murderer's family and I am still on that vow. But the thing is now this involves my daughter whom I love as much as my husband. It's a test for two sets of love. One for husband and one for daughter and I can't let any of that love overpower the other one."

"Amma Jaan," she started. "You arrange a ceremony of Nisha's nikkah with your grandson."

"What?" Rutba Begum was confused and surprised.

"You heard me," she mumbled. "In the next week whatever day suits you but I want her out of my house as soon as possible."

"What are you saying, Tabinda?"