Chapter 23

The sky was covered with thick and murky clouds from the morning, giving a feel like it was already night. Looked like it would rain today. When Nisha brought breakfast for her mother into the room, Tabinda noticed her in college uniform.

"Don't go to college today. The weather is so bad," she advised her.

She shook her head before mixing sugar in Tabinda's tea. "No Ammi, today I have an important class. I can't miss it."

"Still! My heart is becoming apprehensive." Tabinda still couldn't brave herself.

"Oh Ammi, why are you worried? Haider will come to pick me and like you ordered he will drop me back too," she tried to persuade her. Only on Haider's name, Tabinda became a bit relaxed.

"C'mon have breakfast now," she tore a piece of toast and rolled a chunk of egg in it. Nisha pulled her hand towards her who accepted the morsel hesitantly as she was still apprehensive for her daughter's safety.

After feeding her, Nisha stood up while collecting the empty plates when her mother called her.

"Bring my sewing machine here. There are so many pending orders and I haven't even touched them."

Nisha glanced at her with a look like she had said something stupid. "Ammi, what are you saying? You will sew clothes in this state?"

"Then what am I supposed to do? There are thousands of expenses for our house. How would we meet them without me working?" She tried to reason.

Nisha sighed before sitting in front of her and placing her hand above her knee. "Ammi, I will do it till you get better. I know how to sew."

Tabinda quickly shrugged off her soft hand from her knee and glared at her. "Are you mad? Why would you do it? Focus on your studies and stand on your own feet. Why would you sew someone's clothes?"

"You also do this, Ammi. Then what's bad if I do it?"

"It's different for me. It's my necessity. I have seen dreams of a happy life for you and I don't want them to ruin. Just focus on your studies," Tabinda quickly reprimanded her.

"Ammi...Ammi..." Nisha didn't know what she should say now. She held her both hands and squeezed them. "Don't think like that. You are not in the right state to do that. Sewing needs exertion and you are not capable of taking any risk right now. Don't worry, I will take care of my studies. And I will just complete your pending orders. I won't take any new one, believe me. And when you will get better, I won't stop you."

"Nishu you..." Tabinda sighed.

"You are my dearest Ammi. Right?" She leaned ahead and kissed Tabinda's cheek. "Then don't stop me. I promise you I won't let your head down due to me. Your Nishu will be a big doctor someday In Sha Allah and I will open a hospital in your name. Tabinda Sikandar Hospital. How is it?" She winked.

"You are mad," Tabinda shook her head with a smile before opening her both arms wide. Suddenly her eyes glistened with tears. "Come here," she whispered and Nisha rushed into her arms.

"My lovely daughter. I am so proud of you. I don't know what would I have done if you weren't with me. You are a light of my life," she stopped and showered her face with a lot of kisses just like she used to do when Nisha was a kid. And she wholeheartedly allowed herself to dwell in this sweet moment.

Little did she know it was probably going to be her last happy moment with her mother.

                  _________________

What everyone was anticipating since morning happened in the afternoon. It started raining cats and dogs. The day was giving of the night. It was the off time and Nisha was standing at the college gate under a shadow for ages, her eyes searching for Haider's car. But he was nowhere to be seen.