Chapter 24

Rutba Begum looked out through her side of the car when the driver stopped it in front of the worn-out house of her dearest son. She stepped out while her eyes were locked at the same nook.

She shook her head in despair. Wished she would have done something twenty years ago. Wish she knew it earlier that Sufiyan was ditching his own younger brother and stopped him then her son would have survived. His wife wouldn't have to become a widow at such a young age. His little daughter wouldn't have to become an orphan at such a tender age of five. But you couldn't change what had happened. Still, you could try to amend the present and she was there for those corrections. Only if Tabinda would comply with them!

She shook her head and walked ahead. She pressed the doorbell of Sikandar's house. After the second bell, a petite girl opened the gate. Rutba Begum narrowed her eyes as though she was remembering this shy girl.

"Unaiza, right?" She gestured her index finger towards her.

Unaiza nodded and smiled. "Yes, Dadi Jaan. AssalamoAlaikum," she greeted respectfully. Since she was Nisha's grandmother so Unaiza also thought to call her as she referred.

"Walaikum Assalam, beta....is your Aunt Tabinda home?" She quickly came to the point.

"Yes, she is. Please come inside, Dadi," she slid quickly and made way for her. Rutba Begum always liked this innocent, timid girl. She came inside. "And Nisha?" She implored, looking here and there.

"Nisha Api is still at college. She will be coming anytime soon," she replied. "And Khala Ammi is in her room....I'll bring water for you," she quickly left for the kitchen afterward.

Rutba Begum left for Tabinda's room. Tabinda was laying on the bed, talking to her sister. Aqia was the first one to notice her. She promptly stood up and greeted her. Rutba Begum replied politely. After asking Tabinda about her health, Rutba Begum silently looked at Aqia. In the meanwhile, Unaiza came with a glass of water. Rutba Begum took it with a present of prays for her.

Aqia knew she needed some privacy so she excused herself and went out of the room along with Unaiza.

                ____________________

"What are you talking about, Amma Jaan?" Tabinda yelled at hearing what Rutba Begum was saying. She never meant to shout at her but couldn't stop herself since her mother-in-law was saying such weird things.

"That's my wish, Tabinda. I want to make everything right again so I can die peacefully. And marrying Ruhaan and Nisha seems the best option for it. Besides whatever Sufiyan did, Ruhaan has no connection to it. Take this as my last wish," Rutba Begum tried to reason.

Tabinda clenched her teeth to control her anger. She didn't want to lash on Rutba Begum since she was her elder.

"Amma Jaan, that's not possible. First, because I have already committed my daughter with my sister Aqia's son, and secondly but I will never link my innocent daughter to the son of her father's murderer. I am sorry for the harsh words."

"What? You...you decided to marry Nisha to your nephew and never told me?" Rutba Begum was more than shocked at this revelation.

Tabinda sighed before nodding. "It isn't official yet. It is still just between me and my sister. I am planning for her proper engagement next month though. I would have told you then."

Rutba Begum glared at her stubborn daughter-in-law. "Such a big decision and you took it without asking me. You didn't even feel the need to inform me, Tabinda. Don't forget she isn't just your daughter, she is my son's daughter too and I also have a right to her."

"Sorry to say Amma Jaan but I think somehow you lost that right when you decided to side with the criminal of your same granddaughter's father. When you left us halfway. I always respected you but I won't let you take the decisions of my daughter's life in your hand."