Chapter 58

Nisha had tears in her eyes when she saw how the nurses were taking away Aliyan on a stretcher towards the operation theater. He had lost consciousness after they reached here. Her son was so small and it broke her heart to find his blood all around her clothes and his little body spanned across that stretcher.

She hugged Eshal tightly and tried to go past the OT to have a look at him but the nurse stopped her. Disappointed, she walked back and collapsed on the steel bench. Eshal was watching her Mumma with her curious brown eyes as she lifted her hand in the form of a dua and prayed for Aliyan's health. Nisha was constantly mumbling different supplications.

"What happened? Where is Aliyan?"

She lifted her head on hearing a familiar voice and found Ruhaan, looking at her in confusion and worry. She fought an urge to go into his arms and cry her heart out while listening to his heartbeat next to her ear.

She had called him in the rickshaw. She didn't know what was that impulse which made her reach him. But at that time, she felt that only he was the one who could help her overcome this emotional turmoil. She needed support, someone whom she could rely upon while disclosing her heart's state, and Ruhaan came first in her mind for this. Perhaps it was also because Ruhaan could handle Aliyan better than her.

But now she thought she did wrong by telling him. He would get angry at her finding she couldn't take care of his children.

She wiped her cheeks and stood up. "They took him inside. I didn't see him after that."

"What exactly happened? How did he fall?" Ruhaan asked. His eyes roamed at her blood-tinged dress and it shook his heart. It was his Aliyan's blood.

She couldn't say anything in response and burst into tears. Ruhaan softly touched her arm to console her. But what happened next, surprised him as she leaned near to his arm, placing her face on his shoulder. She was trembling. Ruhaan encircled her slender frame with his strong hand.

"He will be fine, Nisha. Don't cry like that," he whispered, gently caressing her hair.

"Come on, sit down." He made her sit back and crouched down before her.

"Everything is fine. Don't worry," he squeezed her hand and when she glanced back at him while sniffling her cute little nose, he realized she was still the same Nisha. So innocent, pure, and naive. Whom he should have protected.

"I'll see the doctor," he announced and walked ahead.

The doctor said that Aliyan's head injury was very severe and the worst was he had passed out. If he wouldn't gain consciousness in a few hours, he could suffer from some brain damage, coma, or worst, it could affect his life as he was very little. But they said that anything could be possible and Aliyan could get perfectly alright even if he arose early.

Ruhaan lazily came back to the corridor where Nisha was seated; praying while crying for the life of their son. Ruhaan wet his lips and took a deep breath to calm himself down. He couldn't tell Nisha this. She was already on the version of losing herself, she wouldn't be able to bear this news.

Nisha's eyes caught his figure and she ran in his direction. "Wh--what did the doctor say? How is my son?"

"The doctors have given positive hope. Just pray for him. He will be fine In Sha Allah," he told her.

She grabbed his arm. "Ruhaan, will my Aliyan get better?" She didn't know what she was doing. At this moment, she was just a mother. She forgot what her and Ruhaan's dynamic was lately. For now, he was her children's father and her husband; someone whom she could trust.

He nodded and brushed her tears with the pads of his fingers. "Calm down. I'll bring water for you. Give her to me..." He referred to Eshal who now started crying at finding no attention towards her. Nisha gave her to him without any question.