Chapter 48

It was night when she finally decided to leave the bed after changing positions on it restlessly. Nisha groaned and sat up, taking a swift glance at her mother's calmly sleeping face before walking off towards her study table. Tabinda started to sleep in her room as her pregnancy was progressing to avoid any unusual circumstances.

Nisha couldn't sleep at all that night. After meeting with Ruhaan, her heart was anxious and had odd fear in it. She fumbled with the zero bulb on her study table to lighten it but quickly realized it was the magic of load shedding that it didn't work. They still couldn't manage the new battery of UPS as these days her mother wasn't getting many orders and also, their expenses were increasing more than income.

Not only this, there were so many problems in their little house. The warm water wasn't working during the winter. And she and Tabinda needed to use boiled water for a bath. Even recently, the tap of her bathroom broke. The stove's knob also tore away a few weeks ago.  And not only this, but the roof also used to leak during the rainy season. And these were just problems related to this house, there were still countless other issues they had.

If Ruhaan would find how of her weaknesses, he could use them against her and worst, could snatch her children away from her as a way of revenge. This fact made her throat dry. She had to secure her position.

Nisha pushed for the button of her lamp which she got a gift from her mother on her seventeen birthday to help her in her study. The area around her study table was illuminated in yellow light, leaving the rest of the room still darkened. She bent a bit and pulled out the drawer of the table. After a while, she had a small diary in her hand. It was her journal sometimes used to write her thoughts and even the phone numbers of some of their relatives.

Nisha opened the diary and the first thing which caught her attention was Ruhaan's number and a red heart in front of his name. She closed her eyes harshly when she felt it was making faces at her that how much of a fool was she. Looking back again, she changed the page and quickly found Lawyer Ijaz Ali's number.

She disentangled the lamp from its carrier and walked out of the room, giving a last glance at her mother to get assured she was sleeping. Reaching the lounge, she reached for the cordless and dialed the lawyer's number. He picked up after a second bell. And with this, Nisha had made up her mind.

                ____________________

Ruhaan was doing his daily workout in the gym that morning when his phone rang. He dropped the weight after completing his fifteenth round and reached out for a towel. Drying the sweat from his body, he picked up his cell. Ruhaan froze finding Nisha's name glowing on the screen.

His face lit up at this and his heart overflowed with joy. He quickly attended the call.

"Nisha." He spoke, impatiently.

"I would like to have a few words with you. Are you free today?" She asked.

Even if he would have piles of work, he could cancel them all just to see her.

"Of course. At which place?"

"The same cafe in our town."

"Sure. When should I come?" Ruhaan threw the towel on the table and sat on the couch.

"Lunch time. I believe it will be most suitable."

"That's great. I'll be there in time....listen, Nisha," he hurried when he realized she would cut the call as what she wanted to say was done.

"Yes?" She asked.

"Are you feeling well?" He questioned.

And on the other side, Nisha inhaled a sharp breath. Why did he always have to do this? Couldn't he just leave her alone? Why was he still keeping up with these sweet talks? She wanted to convince herself he was again fabricating but her heart wasn't agreeing to it. Somehow it was able to see that Ruhaan had changed.