Chapter 17

Today's Question: Do you like tea or coffee? ☺❤

"Mam, your tea."

Rutba Begum came out of her thoughts to find a maid standing at the doorstep of her room with a cup of tea in her hand.

"Keep it here, Farzana," she told her while gesturing towards the coffee table in front of her. The maid did what she was ordered and turned around to walk out when Rutba Begum stopped her.

"Ask Choty Sahab to meet me in my room," she said at which the maid nodded and left the room.

Rutba Begum picked up the cup and attached it to her lips while again reverting her mind to her thoughts.

"Amma Jaan, I feel so horrible right now," Sufiyan declared all of a sudden to her. It was a few weeks before his death; a day after she took him to Tabinda's house at his request. They were sitting in the garden, enjoying the cool breeze.

"Sufiyan..." She mumbled with wide eyes.

"Tabinda Bhabi isn't ready to listen to me, let alone forgive. And I now understand what the feeling of rejection is like. I know I am going to die but I don't want to die like this. I did so wrong with my brother. I think guilt has sunken me into a pit. I don't know what to do," he started crying with sobs.

Rutba Begum's heart clenched seeing him in tears. She bent near him and cupped his face in between her palms.

"Don't cry, my son. I will talk to Tabinda. She will listen to me," she assured him, but she herself knew she was just trying to make him feel less awful. Tabinda would never allow him to talk to her. And she was right in her place. Her son made Tabinda a widow at a young age, her daughter an orphan who never saw her father, and both of them lived such a difficult life.

"No Amma Jaan, she...she won't. Bhabi won't listen. I will die in agony, Amma Jaan, I know this. And this is my punishment. You know; well-deserved punishment," he laughed sarcastically at his last line.

Rutba Begum sighed when she recalled everything which happened in the past. She held Sufiyan's hand in her and looked into his tear-filled eyes.

"There is one-way Sufiyan you can be at peace," she whispered.

"What is it Amma Jaan? Tell me, what is it?" Sufiyan uttered quickly as a different gloss appeared in her eyes.

"Return her what you snatched from her."

Sufiyan first looked at her with gritted brows in confusion before his jaw dropped as he understood what his mother was implying. Seeing the comprehension in his eyes, Rutba Begum nodded.

"The money and her biggest support; her husband."

"Dadi, you said you wanted to see me."

Rutba Begum looked at the door to find her handsome grandson standing there, who smiled when he spotted her eyes on him.

"Yes, I did. Come here, my son. Sit with your Dadi," she patted the area of the bed beside her. Ruhaan did what she said. It was Sunday today and Ruhaan had a day off from the office. And now in the early morning as soon as he woke her, he was informed that his grandmother wanted to meet him.

"Ruhaan, the driver is out of the city because of his mother's illness and I have to go somewhere. Will you take me there?" She asked.

"Dadi, is this even a question? Of course, I will. You get ready, I will be your driver today," he completed his statement with a grin at which Rutba Begum slightly hit on his thick arm.