Chapter 40

When Haider left, her mother gave her a brand new phone set.

She narrowed her eyes in confusion. "What should I do with it?"

"You are soon going to be a medical student. You will need it. I have asked Haider to get it for you," Tabinda explained.

"But I don't think so I need it." She placed the box back in the shopping back.

"You do. Everyone does especially in this time. And if you are thinking I am doing it as some compensation for what happened to you then that's not the case. I trust you," she said, matter of factly.

The discussion was practically over now. Nisha sighed and grabbed the box again. "Thanks, Ammi."

Tabinda smiled. "No need."

                ____________________

She regarded the phone after getting into her room. Haider had brought a sim for her under his name and already inserted it. She went through the contact list to find his number saved. Nisha took a deep breath to calm herself down. She was not stupid to not understand those indications. Whatever would happen in the future was another thing, but now she couldn't think of Haider in that light.

He deserved a good girl and someone who could love him wholeheartedly. She had never loved him in the first place. And now it was almost ridiculous. Her heart still chanted for Ruhaan and to get rid of his thoughts from her heart, she needed time. For this, she wouldn't ruin Haider's life.

When the clock hit five, she got up to get ready for her job. After getting dressed up, she went out to find her mother busy with her sewing machine. She reached her and stood near her divan.

"Ammi, why do you work so much? You will get yourself sick again, God forbid." She sat next to her and snuggled against her arm.

Tabinda smiled and patted her cheek. "It's my work, child, and the way of our earning. Besides, this is the last piece of Mrs. Murtaza's order. I will be having some rest tonight."

Nisha lifted her face and regarded her. "Should I help you with some dresses?"

Tabinda scowled at her from above her glasses. "No way. Just focus on your studies."

Nisha held her hand. "Ammi, just pray that I will get admission on merit. Then I will become a good doctor and after that, I won't let you work anymore. You will have plenty of rest."

Tabinda kissed her forehead. "May Allah always bless you."

The horn of the rickshaw reverberated in the surrounding. She stood up. "I am going Ammi. And today don't you start making dinner. I have prepared curry already. When I will come back, I will cook roti as well."

Tabinda looked at her daughter's back with love. She prayed in her heart that she would find the happiness that she deserved.

               ____________________

Today the kid's mother had given her advance salary. It was like a good news for her. She needed to deposit the money in the institution in a few days. Placing the cash in her handbag, she walked out of the big bungalow but didn't even reach the gate yet when the guard opened it and someone entered inside. Her jaw dropped to find Ruhaan. How came he was there? Was he following her? He looked at her stunned face with a neutral expression.

"Oh, Ruhaan Sir. You...here?" She turned around at a male voice and found the father of the kid she taught looking at her husband with respect and a bit of nervousness.

Sir?

"Is everything alright?" The man asked again.

"Is she your daughter's tutor?" Ruhaan gestured towards Nisha.