Chapter 3

"How are you, Khala Ammi?" Haider asked Tabinda when he reached the hall where she was seated. She was Haider's mother's sister. [Khala Ammi: Mother's sister]

"I am fine, beta. Come sit here--" she patted the seat beside her. "Nisha, go and make tea for him." [Beta: Son]

Nisha nodded before going toward the kitchen. As she was pouring milk into the water and tea leaves mixture, her mind reverted to what happened earlier.

Huzaifa was her childhood best friend and Haider was his elder brother. He was even elder than her too. She had more frankness with Huzaifa but Haider could be included in her friends' list too. He was a nice guy; sweet and soft-spoken.

He and Huzaifa used to give her gifts before and she happily accepted them. This was the first time he gave something this expensive to her. And this alerted her right away not to take it as her mother wouldn't like it.

"Nisha!" She flinched when someone called her name. It was Haider who came to the kitchen and stood behind her and she didn't even realize his presence as she was so immersed in her thoughts. She turned around and shot a smile at him.

"How was your day, today?" He asked as he walked near her.

"It was good but so hectic," she chuckled.

"How was yours? And why did you come here? It's so hot in the kitchen," she said as she mixed the tea in the pan with a spatula.

"Nisha, you might have misunderstood me a while ago but --"

"No, Haider, I didn't. Seriously, I can't take expensive gifts from you guys. And Ammi also wouldn't have liked it. Don't take it to your heart," she assured him with a smile.

Haider didn't say anything instead his smile grew larger as he searched for something in his pocket and again came out with that red box.

He brushed his thumb on the ribbon and his movement stopped on the heart. He again looked up at her who was staring at him with widened eyes. "Are you looking at this heart? When I decided to have this decoration on the box, I thought you will get to know straight away what I want to say by looking at this and I wouldn't even need to open my mouth but I think I should just say it. "

He came closer to her and shoved his both hands in his pants pocket. "Nisha, I like you. In fact, I have been loving you for many years and I want to marry you... Will you marry me?"

Nisha's jaw dropped at hearing this. Haider was enjoying her situation. He was sure she also had feelings for him but like him, she too had shyness from confessing it to him.

A loud sound of steam brought her out of her thoughts. Nisha quickly turned the stove off. She licked her dried lips and again looked at his face she had hope in his eyes.

"Look Haider, I respect your feelings but...but I am sorry, I can't reciprocate them. You are just my cousin and friend. I hope you understand. I just want to remain your friend. Hmm?" She explained as nervousness was present in her tone as she might be hurting him.

"Okay, Haider?" She again asked at which he just smiled sheepishly.

"It's okay, Nisha. I can understand. And don't worry, I won't force you and also we will always remain friends. Let's just think this talk didn't happen between us," he said and she nodded.

"You go and sit with Ammi. I'll bring the tea," she told him.

"Sure." He smiled and left the kitchen right after.

Nisha looked at his back blankly. She was praying that he didn't mind her rejection and it wouldn't put a strain on their otherwise good friendship. She sighed before turning back towards the slab. She poured the tea into the three cups, placed them on a tray, and walked out where her mother and Haider were seated in the hall.

"And how is your mother, Haider?" As she served the tea to both of them, Tabinda asked Haider.

"She is fine, Khala Ammi. Asking me to convey her salam to you...." He paused when Nisha forwarded the cup to him. He stared at her for a moment before taking it. "Thank you."

"Walaikum Assalam. I am already thinking about coming to your house someday," Tabinda announced while taking a sip of the tea.

"Sure," he said with a smile.

Putting the cup aside, Haider got up and turned towards Tabinda. "Okay, Khala Ammi. I should go now. Take care of yourself, hmm?"

Tabinda nodded before patting his head in adoration.

"And Nisha!" He called her, "Huzaifa was asking me to bring some notes from you. He said he already talked to you about them. Will you please bring them?"

"Huh? Sure. I'll give them to you," she mumbled and went towards her room.

___________________

Taking a sip of the tea, she flipped through the pages of the book and again started jotting down the words in her notebook. Haider left but his words were not leaving her mind. How could he even say something like this? How come he started to like her? She never for a bit found anything suspicious in his actions in all these years. He might have said that it wouldn't strain their friendship but in reality, it did. They would become awkward with each other. Swaying away every thought, she again started noting things down.

Suddenly the bell rang which diverted her attention. It started to get dark now. It must be the milkman who came to deliver the milk. She thought before getting off the chair and walking out of her room. Tabinda was sleeping right now after taking her medicine.

She stepped towards the main gate and opened it without thinking about anything. Her eyebrows knitted finding an unfamiliar old man, sitting in a wheelchair looking keenly at her. Behind him, a young guy was holding his wheelchair, was most probably a servant.

"Who are you?" Nisha asked.

"Are...are you Sikandar's daughter? Sikandar Ahmad?" The man asked while pointing his index finger at her. His eyes suddenly brightened and a smile strung his lips.

"Yes, I am. But sorry I don't recognize you. How do you know about my Baba?" She questioned in confusion.

His smile got deeper as though her saying Sikandar as her Baba alleviated him. "No wonder. You look exactly like him. Your every feature is a replica of his," he mumbled without answering what she was asking.

"I am sorry, Uncle. Will you please tell me who are you?" She inquired in irritation now.

"I...I am-"

"He is your Taya Abbu beta. Your father's elder brother. He wanted to meet you." [Taya Abbu: Father's elder brother]

The man didn't even get to complete it when an aged woman came from behind, stood beside, him, and announced.

"Dadi Jaan, you?" Nisha murmured blankly, still not being able to process anything. [Dadi Jaan: Father's mother]

_____________________

Salem/ Hi guys!

How are you?

I am back with a new chapter.

How is it?

Why do you think Nisha's father's mother and brother came to meet her?

Why she doesn't know about her father's brother?

Is there any mystery here?

To know this, don't forget to read the new chapter.

And if you are waiting for our hero, ahem *everyone does;)* then don't worry. Ruhaan is going to come really soon so don't stop reading.

If you like this chapter, don't forget to vote and comment. ❤

Till next update, Allah Hafiz. ❤❤❤