Chapter 13: The Unlucky

-Notes-

AO3 Account: 1_Weeb_Writer_1

I do not own Yugioh characters or franchise(s), Belongs rightfully to Toei Animations. Series belongs to Kazuki Takahashi (Yugioh Duel Monsters) & Shin Yoshida (Yugioh Zexal Author) & Naohito Miyoshi (Yugioh Zexal Manga Artist). English dubs belong rightfully to 4Kids Entertainment & 4K Media.

◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇

Mai drew a card and was allowed to play first "I play Dunames Dark Witch in attack mode." She placed her monster card on her deck and her monster appeared on her side of the field. Her winged witch had 1800 attack points with 1050 defense points but it was a level 4 monster. It was a good pull for the start of the duel and a powerful one too for such a low level monster. Marik chuckled to himself "Starting things off strong huh?" He drew a card from his deck and he grinned "I place Revival Jam in defense mode," A ghostly blue slime appeared on his field with 1500 attack points and having a mere 500 points for its defense. It was a strong level 4 monster but with defense points like that wouldn't be enough for Mai's monster. Especially since he played it in defense mode out of all things. "I also play the spell card, Jam Breathing Machine. With this card it will create a slime token for me for every turn." He snickers as he already looked like he was winning this game even though it just started. "I suggest you attack me now before I have an army to annihilate you with and you would have no chance to even strike me down." He advised Mai when it was her turn again because he ended his turn once he played those two cards.

Mai drew another card to her hand but she didn't use any of them to play during this turn "As you wish you fool, Attack my Dark Witch!" Mai called out her move. Yami looked at Revival Jam in shock but sternly turned to Mai "Mai! Wait!" It was too late for him. Her monster attacked the slime ghost but it reunited with the other pieces of itself and was pieced back together. Unharmed and revived. "What the heck? What just happened?" Tristan was confused on how it was even possible when Mai's monster was stronger compared to that little things. Marik scoffed, "My slime monster is able to regenerate whenever it's attacked." He drew another card and placed it on his duel disk "You should really know when to listen, blondie. I now have a slime token thanks to you." a small teardrop shaped ghost slime came out of Jam Breathing Machine with equal attack and defense of 500. "I play the spell card Pot of Greed which allows me to draw two more cards from my deck." His duel disk beeps when two cards were selected for him to pull from his deck. He looked at his cards and then placed one on the field "I place a face down and end my turn. Your attacks will be useless eventually Mai Valentine." Mai shuttered when he said her name in such distaste.

"Listen Mai!" Mai turned to look down at Yami "Marik did the same thing to me with this tactic, he will use those tokens to have enough to sacrifice and summon his god card!" You turned to Yami "You fought Marik before?" Yami looked over to you "Through his Rare Hunters who came after me in the tournament." He explained. It made sense, he did say he never met Marik actually in person when you were in the helicopter earlier today. Mai turned back to face Marik "I got just the card to make sure that won't happen." She laid a card on her duel disk "I play Harpie's Feather Duster, it wipes out all your spell and trap cards." The spell card made a little typhoon and blew away most of Marik's playing cards off his field which left him only left with his weak monster. You placed a hand over your heart as this meant she was able to avoid being struck down by the same move he tried to use against Yugi and Yami from their previous duel encounter.

It also meant your friend was safe which was keeping your heart at ease from the stress building itself up from this duel with Marik. "No attack my witch!" Mai's monster attacked his weakest slime token monster which rendered his life points down to 2700. Joey had a big smile on his face as he was getting giddy from Mai pulling off a fast recovery move before things were going to start heading for the worst. Mai placed a face down and officially ended her turn. You clutched the bloody gloves of hers still in your hand as you watched with intensity, Jane leaned on your leg as she watched with everyone else of this match.