Chapter 72: The Beginning Of The End

— ♡ Ryou Bakura's POV ♡ —

'Where . . . Am I?' I looked around and it was nothing but a village. There was no sky. It was pitch black. The place seemed to go on for eternity with nothing else in sight. Only the edge of the village seemed to be remaining.

I walked around the place but there was . . . Nothing.

There was no one in sight.

I ran around. All over. My breathing became rapid as I ran continuously around to find some source of life in this silent place.

I passed by an underground temple that made me backtrack. Animosity seethed from below those steps yet . . . I was compelled to go down there despite my fear. I swallowed the nervous lump in my throat and descended the stairs. The closer I became the stiffer my legs became. Wanting me to run. No. Begging me to. Yet I kept dreading down. Shoving down the fear.

I've always been a scaredy cat. It's why I feel better when surrounded by others. Like Yugi and his friends. They give me confidence and courage. We hang out more at school than separately. I - I am working on trying to make them more comfortable around me. I know they like me as their friend but . . . I can feel some distance . . . Not because of me . . . Because of the other me . . . The darker me . . .

That being is gone now.

It has been a month since it has left me. I haven't had any nightmares since. My mind has been calmer than ever. Less consumer with ungodly headaches. I wanted to keep my distance from them all, ever since the Battle City Tournament. I didn't want to make them feel hostility or pressured to befriend me. It was still a lot for everyone to process. Even when Yugi had won a tournament last month. I congratulated him but nothing more. (A/n: Yes I time jumped for this).

There were times I blacked out too. I woke up in the same place though. Nothing too crazy like before when I would wake up in a random place. Not knowing how I got there. Not knowing when I got there. The spiral of this split personality took over and caused trouble. Feels like an endless horror movie. Except I never asked to be the protagonist of the evil that is in this film. I have and was in this against my will. Then again, when does anyone ask to be the protagonist in a horror movie situation?

I was at the end of the stairs by the time I finished my thoughts. A single door at the end of this dark tomb hall withheld the only light. In the midst of the cracked open door. I reluctantly took one step after the other. 'Don't be scared. Be hopeful like Yugi. Be strong like Joey and Tristan. Be optimistic like Tea. Be brave like (Y/n).' I mantra in my head as I went forward. All the way until I made it to the door. I pushed without much effort — no budge. I put more muscle into it (even though I don't have any) and managed to push it fully open. It took a lot out of me. Felt like a workout that I hate doing.

It only made things worse after seeing the sight I saw.

. . . A bonfire . . . Bodies stacked on top of each other . . . Their cries and screams of agony carried in the flames . . . The pit looked like something a cult would use for sacrifices . . . The walls were splattered with old and fresh blood . . . Everywhere . . . I stumbled back on my butt when I fell over something. I looked down slowly. . . I. . . Had tripped over. . . A tanned hand. . . Their fingernails were forced off . . . Calluses on their fingers and palms . . . Scars new and old . . .

I snapped out of my daze when their index finger moved. I screamed as I scrambled to my feet. I never ran so fast in my life. I booked it down that hallway and stumbled my way up those steep stairs to be out of there.

Only when I reached the surface . . . People manifest in the village . . . Except . . . Everyone was combusted . . . All in flames . . . Everyone cried out in pain . . . All begging for mercy . . . All begging to end their suffering . . .

All I could do was . . . Fall on my knees with my hands over my ears and scream for this seeming never-ending nightmare to end as tears fell down my face . . .

♡ Yami Bakura's POV ♡—

"Finally that fucking brat shut up." I grin as I twirl the Millennium ring around my finger. That fucking kid is so annoying. Always crying and whining. So weak and pathetic. I cannot stand using him as a vessel. I need to seriously take over his body soon. Or I'll lose my own mind than I am making that kid already have.

I stole the millennium ring from Weevil and Rex when they tried to steal his Egyptian God cards. A few days ago. I managed to knock those idiots out without much of a teacher left. 'Imagine if they were though. It would've been fucking easier to move forward on my plans. This ring is enough for now.' I sighed as I reminisced on the what-ifs. Luckily I didn't leave a trace of myself behind. It wouldn't take long before the Pharaoh and his brat of friends figure out the millennium ring is missing. And who took the thing in the first place.

It hasn't been long since I hijacked the owner of this personal aircraft of this random old prick. I used the Millennium ring to control them. 'Memory world. . . So close to getting what is rightfully mine. . .' I placed a hand on the brunette's head. "This will surely make those damn bastards lead me to the tablet." I twirl a strand of her light brown hair "A little exchange always works in favor. Isn't it Wheeler woman?" I snicker as I drop the strand of hair on her unconscious face.

I had planned to kidnap the Mokuba kid except that damn woman was there with him. Lady (Y/n). I had to abandon the idea because of her. She is the brain of my existence. Always a nuisance whenever she appears. The gleaming shield and sword of hope. Protects and defends. Fucking warrior gladiator. She would have killed me on the spot. Maybe not because of this kid's body I am in. Nonetheless, I didn't wanna risk my plans being ruined. Not when I am this close. Hence, the reason this Serenity chick woman was the best next thing. Their little rescue on this bitch would make them lure them out to the desert.

I leaned back against the plane wall with a long sigh. "The beginning of the end for us all Pharaoh and Lady (Y/n). I hope you two are ready for the darkness that is soon to come." I couldn't help but laugh as the plane maneuvers closer and closer to the land of the finale of the Pharaohs and the Queen's demise. And the reign of my rise of destruction.

◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇

Hello Everyone ~

It has been a year(ish). I decided to update early. Yes, it is a 3 chapter update. I decided to split it into 3 short chapters. It's because I wanted to end this arc bittersweetly for the upcoming one, the final anime arc.

However — Just because I updated 3 chapters does not mean I'm coming back to writing a bunch again.

I wrote these and will be back next year with another chapter update. Same writing schedule as usual – Once a year

And yes, I left it on a cliffhanger beginning for new arc. You didn't think I kept mentioning Serenity in the last chapter for no reason did you? You all know I am a menace to society with cliffhangers too. Toodles ~