Chapter 22: Without You

-Notes-

AO3 Account: 1_Weeb_Writer_1

I do not own Yugioh characters or franchise(s), Belongs rightfully to Toei Animations. Series belongs to Kazuki Takahashi (Yugioh Duel Monsters) & Shin Yoshida (Yugioh Zexal Author) & Naohito Miyoshi (Yugioh Zexal Manga Artist). English dubs belong rightfully to 4Kids Entertainment & 4K Media.

◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇

Mai groaned when she slowly opened her eyes to see a white ceiling. Her vision became clear after blinking a few times and adjusted them enough to take in her surroundings. She held her head while she sat up apparently in the infirmary which was different from the last she remembered. It was different. Her ears perked to the sound of multiple footsteps running towards her direction. She jumped out of her skin when she saw Joey, Tristan, Serenity, Tea, Duke, and Yugi coe barging into the infirmary. "You're awake!" Joey called out the obvious as they all walked over to her side. Mai tilted her head to the side "What happened?" she softly muttered and sharply inhaled soon after. It all came back to her of her duel with Marik and the events that played afterwards but it only lasted up to when she met the Millennium Rod. That was the last thing she remembered. Everyone got chairs and sat around Mai. Ishizu stood at the doorway with Marik beside her who had his head down.

She gave a light glare over to Marik and Serenity waved her hands around to get Mai's attention "Chill with the glare Mai. He is back to his normal self." Mai stopped glaring to look at Serenity. Mai started to look around the room. Someone was missing. "Where is (Y/n)?" Mai asked the question that made the room fall dead silent. Everyone's faces became a mournful one that held much sadness within them. Mai gripped the blanket "What happened to (Y/n)?" Mai pressed on with demand in her voice. She was now annoyed that everyone was giving her the silent treatment. "You might wanna sit down when you hear this." Joey said and Mai crossed her arms across her chest "I am already sitting genius." Mai furrowed her brows at the teenager who didn't even try to talk back to Mai. It made her concern for you grow even more. Joey usually argued back with her. It was their thing but when he didn't, she knew this was serious. Joey never looked so sad in front of her before. Duke looked at Mai as Joey couldn't even fathom trying to explain and put a hand on his shoulder. A silent word of exchange between the boys was spoken through actions rather than words. Duke took over from Joey to explain in his place about what chaos happened after Mai was asleep.

"(Y/n) was from the future this whole time . . . It explains her bike." She lightly chuckles to herself. Mai hung her head low as her bangs covered her eyes. She was horror-stricken by this terrible news and looked at her lap. Tear droplets fell on the beds blankets which she had gripped. Clenching her teeth ". . . (Y/n) can't be gone . . . It isn't fair . . ." Serenity went to sit beside her and pulled her gently to a side hug. Gently stroking her hair as Mai tried her best to silently sob her sorrows.

Ishizu took a deep breath and walked over to Yugi. Marik watched her go over to Yugi and he knew what she was going to tell him. He was afraid how he would take it, how his friends would take it, and how the Pharaoh's spirit would take this great important news. He could only watch as Ishizu bravely and foolishly told the story of the great queen Lady (Y/n). Saying you didn't believe you were her but Ishizu concluded how you came to the realization much too late before disappearing in front of everyone. Yugi was holding the millennium puzzle for the entire explanation.

"They were separated again . . . How can destiny for them be so cruel?" Tea was in disbelief of this tale. She knew that the Pharaoh and her could never be. Tea also she knew even this was terrible for him. It pained her knowing that he was hurt from anyone's point of view on this.