Chapter 18: The Calm Before The Storm

-Notes-

AO3 Account: 1_Weeb_Writer_1

I do not own Yugioh characters or franchise(s), Belongs rightfully to Toei Animations. Series belongs to Kazuki Takahashi (Yugioh Duel Monsters) & Shin Yoshida (Yugioh Zexal Author) & Naohito Miyoshi (Yugioh Zexal Manga Artist). English dubs belong rightfully to 4Kids Entertainment & 4K Media.

◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇

When it was safe for you and Yami to step down onto solid ground, he didn't want to let go of you at first. Heck, he didn't move at all the entire time from the position he was in with you. "Yami, we have to go." You whispered to his ear and you noticed they became a little red after you whispered to him. Yami didn't want to let go and you were mentally going to start panicking because the two of you had to get off first in order for the ship to properly land. Yami let go of you after 5 seconds before you thought you were gonna have to do it by force in order for everyone to get on Kaiba island. He even held out his hand for you to graciously take in order to help you when you stepped down. "You were incredible with your dagger (Y/n)." Yami kept his gaze on you as the two of you stepped away to let the blimp have a safe landing zone. While you were walking, it hit you, that was the first time Yami saw you use your weapon other than its dagger form. Yugi has only seen it once but probably not clearly because he was focused on saving Joey at that time back at the pier. Yami has seen your shielding and so has Yugi but that was about it. You let out a sheepish laugh and rubbed the back of your head with your other hand "Oh, well, I can't take all the credit. It was the dagger who mostly does the work." Yami shook his head, disagreeing with you. "You were able to think quickly on your feet like you always have. I admire how you are able to do that. Pushing yourself and it creates miracles like your shields that always protect us." He spoke with such passion and admiration of your abilities. Of you. You never thought about it like that. Just always thinking of ways to be useful instead which was in a way pushing yourself like he said.

Your hand was still in his and Yami pulled you to him, earning a small yelp from the sudden yank from you, and he raised your hand to gently press a soft kiss on your palm. He gazed down at you afterwards, leaning his cheek against your palm he just kissed, with a soft warm smile pursing his lips "Thank you for saving us once again (Y/n)." You were breathless from his simple actions. Your heart fluttered and you could feel your cheeks becoming warm again. "N-No problem. It's what friends do!" You stammered from being nervous all of a sudden. You take your hand back, you didn't want to but had to, when you heard the blimp start to come down to land. You wanted to punch yourself for saying that because it hurt your own heart for zoning him as a friend. Yami watched you become nervous because of him and he felt proud of himself for it. His smile formed into a little grin because of that. 'He is really making it hard to keep it together. Yami comes off way too strong.' You were feeling overwhelmed a little from his bold gestures. 'You don't make these feelings I get whenever I am with you any easier to settle. These aren't feelings of being that queen or wife you had in your past even if it's real or true . . . I am pretty sure she wouldn't want you acting like this with another woman who isn't even a part of your own time . . . Geez how pathetic am I feeling a little envious of her . . .' You felt your heart ache a bit from those negative thoughts that seem to be the only way you keep thinking lately. Even after Joey gave you that pep talk yesterday. It only helped for that moment but if Joey knew what you were really going through, would that pep talk still be the same or different?

Joey came running and shouting over to you two. Hugging the both of you while praising the gods for you both being safe and sound. Tea and Serenity both pushed Joey out of the way to hug you. "You scared us!" Tea was just glad you were alright and was like a mom scolding you for scaring her. "Kaiba almost left you!" You laugh when she mentioned that. "Sounds like something he would do." It was indeed something only Kaiba would do. It's Kaiba. Is there anything else more to say other than that? As if on cue, Kaiba came out of the blimp with Mokuba, Tristan, and Duke. Tristan was glaring at Kaiba from behind along with Duke. You figured they were doing that because of what Serenity mentioned to you. You glanced down to see Jane was awake and looked a little better than last you had seen her. Jane smiled on her cute cat face. "We can talk later, my lady." Jane knew it wasn't the proper time to talk at this moment. You had so much to tell her about after being apart for quite some time. You also missed her dearly too because seeing her injured gave you a scare even during this whole virtual world ordeal.