Whatever It Takes

~Armani POV

"Wassup man. Daddy gone be home soon man." Bryson cooed with Brandon in his arms. "I miss you." He said kissing his cheek. "I miss you too." He looked up grabbing my hand. "How you been? You doing okay? You need anything?" He asked. "I should be asking you that Bryson." I said shaking my head.

"You know I'm good. Will taking care of you right? He making sure you and Brandon straight?"

"Yes, Will is doing more than enough to look after us." I said with a sigh. "So, your first day of trial starts tomorrow. How are you feeling?" I asked. "Not sure, the lawyer that I got seems legit. We'll see how she is in court." He said "Did Jacobs say anything to you after he arrested you?" I asked. "No. Fuck that nigga." He scoffed.

"Bryson, I need to tell you something. And you have to promise not to get mad." I said making him look a little confused. "What is it?" He asked.

How do I tell you this? How do I sit in front of you after promising my loyalty and tell you I'm the reason you're sitting in a cell?

"Mani, you don't have to wait for me." He said snapping me out of my thoughts. "What?" I asked confused. "That's what this is about right? I'm not forcing you to wait for me." He said. "Bryson no t-" He cut me off. "Look, there's no telling how long I'm going to be in here. I'm hoping it's not long but, there really is no telling. I'm not expecting you to put your life on pause because of me." He said.

"Bryson, I'm the reason you're in here." I said lowly. "You defended yourself, there's nothing wrong with that." He said. "No, that's not what I mean. I'm the reason." I said. "Armani, don't beat yourself up about this. You didn't do this on purpose."

"Oh my gosh you're not listening to me!" I semi-yelled.

"Visitation is over! Say your goodbyes!" The guard yelled. "We'll finish this conversation another time okay. I got to go. I love you. I love yall both." He said handing me Brandon. "I love you too Bryson."

I strapped Bryson into his car seat and walked back to the car putting him inside. I got into the driver's seat and just sat there. The more days that pass by the more guilt I hold onto. I need to tell him what I did. I have to.

This isn't going to end well.

**

"Hello, you must be Clarissa." I said with a small smile opening the door. I finally opened up to getting a nanny and Clarissa was my first interview of two today. "Yes, nice to meet you." She said shaking my hand. "Come on in." I said opening the door wider for her to come in.

"You have such a beautiful home."

"Thank you. Would you like a glass of water or anything?" I asked. "No, I'm okay thank you." She said as we both took a seat. "Okay well I got your basic information from the website. Your birthday, Place of Birth, Education, and Experience." I said. "Yes." She said with a smile.

"Now I know the website said that there's no record of criminal history but is there anything that I should know? Any encounters with authorities or anything suspicious that might make me question your ability to look after my son?" I asked.

She paused.

"No, none at all." She said with another smile.

"You paused. Why did you pause?" I asked. "I didn't pause." She said. "Okay Clarissa, here's a scenario question. My son, Brandon, he's fussing, his diapers been changed, he won't eat his food and he won't sleep. What do you do?" I asked. "Um, well I'd just make him go to sleep."

"Make him? How would you make my son go to sleep?" I asked. "Rocking him?"

"That sounds like a question. I asked the question in hopes of answer. The least you could do is contact me and let me know the issue if you were confused on what to do. With your experience I would expect you to know what to do. You're done here, have a good day Clarissa." I said with a small smile.