4. Chaos Between Departments

Months later...

Nila was on her usual rounds, inspecting each and every class. The 1st year chemistry class was empty as the students were all outside.

Jennie: Ma'am, we haven't received our records back yet. We have practicals on Friday.

Nila: Oh sorry dear. Mary ma'am had given the records after rectifying. Due to my hectic schedule, I didn't get time to place the seals over it. Don't worry, I'll return them after lunch break. Okay?

Jennie: Fine, ma'am

Nila: Please inform this to your classmates also.

Nila went back to her office. As she finished placing the seals, the peon entered the room

Nila: Please take these records and distribute them among the first years.

Louis: Sure ma'am. And, Pr. Mary wants to see you in her Office. Please come.

Nila arranged the records and asked him to take them to the first year class. She adjusted her uniform properly and goes to her cabin.

She opened the door silently.

Nila: May I come in madam?

Professor Mary was busy typing on her laptop and guestured her to get in. From her grave countenance and the way she tapped on the key board, she seemed to be in a bad mood.

Nila (hiding her fears) : Had you sent for me, madam?

Pr. Mary (without looking at her: Of course.

Nila (swallows hard): why..what's..the matter madam?

Pr. Mary: Why haven't you return the records of the 1st years till now?

Nila: I have finished placing the seals and returned them, ma'am.

Pr. Mary: Why didn't you return them earlier?

Nila: S..sorry maam, I didn't get enough time so...

Pr. Mary (frustrated): Ah, You know well that I hate such silly excuses and you go on making them for your irresponsibility. One of the students complained regarding it. Don't you know that their practicals are starting on Friday?

Nila's thought went dry

Nila mv: What! But I had informed them that I'll return the records today, then how could they?

Pr. Mary: Why are you standing like a rock? Don't you have anything to say?

Nila: Sorry maam

After getting an earful from pr. Mary, Nila stormed out the cabin. She clenched her teeth in rising anger. Riya became clueless on seeing her reaction and follows her. She asked her the matter but she didnt listen.

She entered the 1st years class and guestured Riya to close the doors. Students became clueless. Hiding her pain and anger, she spoke in a grave tone.

Nila: Hope everybody is present. Right?

Junior: Yes ma'am

Nila: Did all of you get back your records?

All: Yes ma'am

Nila: So, who complained to the HOD about me for distributing them late?

None of them spoke. A quick silence followed.

Nila: See, I had informed Jennie that I'll give back your records today itself. Right?

Jennie: Yes ma'am