63. A Crazy Date

The classes were over and the students were laboriously preparing for the final examinations. There were only three weeks to go.

Nila: I couldn't tell the matter without asking her. So I kept quite.

Alex: What a fricking love triangle! Anyway, we have to tell Judith about this. We'll sort this out after the exams.

Nila: Yeah.

In the meanwhile..

The calling bell rang and Maya opened the door. It was Sooraj.

Sooraj: Ah..Hello Mrs Joseph.

Maya: Hello. May I know who you are

Sooraj: My name is Sooraj and I'm Nila's friend at St. Xavier's. Is she home?

Maya: Oh, are you that friend of hers who's a head student?

Sooraj: Yeah

Maya: Oh, please come in. What brings you here?

Sooraj: There is gonna be a seminar on use of calculus and trigonometry in real life today evening at college. As we are head students, we are supposed to attend it. So I came to call her. If you don't mind, can we go together?

Maya: Oh is it? Well, I have no problem. I call her right away.

Maya went upstairs to find Nila asleep on the bed, drooling over her pillow.

Maya: Nila, get up.

Nila (yawns): Mom...I am taking a power nap.

Maya: You had been lying on the bed since morning. What is the use of taking a power nap?

Nila: Mom! I had been studying all night yesterday and I'm worn out. Leave me I wanna sleep..

Maya: Your friend has come downstairs to take you to a seminar. Get ready fast and go.

Nila: What the heck? The classes are over and still they are conducting seminars? Bloody hell!

She stirred on the bed and stretched out her arms.

Maya: Yeah. You are a head student so you are supposed to go. Now get up.

Nila: Damn

Maya went downstairs and Nila closed the door. She became clueless.

Nila: But I didn't get any notification or message from the official college group. Then how?

She took out her phone and found out a message.

Sooraj: I'm downstairs waiting for you. I cooked up a story so we could go on a date. Be quick.

Nila (smiles): So it's you. Oh my God! I'm going on a date. What should I wear?

She rummaged her cupboard, finding the best outfit for the date.

Maya served him tea and snacks. They sat at the couch, talking to each other.

Maya: So what are your plans after this?

Sooraj: I'm planning to do a postgraduation and get into a company as a software developer.

Maya: That's great. Do you live here alone?

Sooraj: No. I'm with my mom. We shifted her after my 12th. I got a scholarship and that's how we came here. My family is from Pune.

Maya: Oh..is it? We are originally from Kerala. It's been 5 years since we came here.

Sooraj looked at his watch impatiently.

Maya: I'm sorry you're getting late. She's always like that. She needs at least half an hour to select her dress and two hours to get ready. (laughs)

Sooraj: Oh...that's funny.