66. Sharing Dreams

It took a moment to register in his mind about what she had just said. He looked at her in awe with confusion swirling in his eyes

Sooraj: What did you just say?

Nila: My dad wants to send me to Canada for my post graduation in biochemistry. Actually it had been my dream to go there and join the institute of biotechnology and I told him before. He says I should go and study there as it's one of the  prestigious institutions across the globe. I just don't know what to do. I'm confused.

Sooraj didn't say anything.

Nila: Why are you silent? Say something

Sooraj: Well, in my opinion, you should never compromise on your dream. If it's your dream, you should definitely go. When an opportunity comes, grab it. Don't let it go. Your dream is to become a scientist right? Then you should and do your  Pg over there.

Nila: Then, what about us?

Sooraj: We'll wait. No matter how long it takes, we'll achieve our dreams and then get married. We need time to build our lives. Right?

Nila: Won't you miss me?

Sooraj: Are you stupid? Of course I will. I can bear being separated from you for two years. But, we should think and do what is practical. We can still talk to each other through phone right? We'll fix and appropriate time and contact each other.

Nila: You are right. I'll go there. But I'm a bit tensed. New place, new people...I don't know even the accent! I'll go and ask for sauce instead of ketchup!!

Sooraj (laughs): Don't worry you can handle it.

Nila: Uh..fine.

She looked at him and he turned his face away. His eyes were getting glassy with tears and he was trying hard to control them. She became worried.

Nila: Are you crying?

Sooraj: No I'm not.

Nila: You are

Sooraj: It's because I'm happy for you. Really (smiling with teary eyes) See I'm not crying

Nila couldn't hold it anymore and she went forward and hugged him tight. She let out a stream of fresh tears and he rested his face on her shoulder.

Nila: I'll miss you baby. Don't know how I'm gonna survive there.

Sooraj: You will. Don't worry. Ill be there at your graduation ceremony over there.

Nila: Promise?

Sooraj (curls his pinky with him): Promise. Remember one thing, I want you to fly high, for I'll be always be there to cheer for you.

Nila: You're the best partner one could ever get. I used to whine because I had no one. Now I now why. God must have chosen you for me.

They ventured inside the forest and laid on the lush green grass with light falling on their faces through the patches of leaves.

Nila: Sooraj..

Sooraj: Hmm..

Nila: Do you have dreams about our marriage?

Sooraj (smiles): Yeah I have.

Nila: You're a hindu and I'm a christian right? So which way should we have it?

Sooraj: What's your dream?

Nila: I want it inside a church, at the holy alter. Me wearing a white flowing gown and you in a dashing black tuxedo. My sisters and friends will be my bridesmaids. I've already had a dream about it. After exchanging our rings and vows, the chief priest asked us to kiss and you were standing like a rock. I had to make the first move (laughs)