72. Misunderstanding

Three weeks later...

Harley, Leah, Daniel and Ana were
working  inside the library while Nila came inside with a red swollen  tear streaked face. From her looks and countenance, they understood that she had been bawling her eyes out.

Harley: Hey girl, what happened? Why are you crying?

Nila didn't respond

Ana: You're eyes are soo droopy. No wonder why you were inside the washroom for hours.

Daniel: You okay? Tell us the matter.

Nila: I'm fed up of this. No matter how hard I try, things won't just work out.

Leah: Does it has to do with your boyfriend?

Nila: Mm

Leah: Knew it. God! This has become a never-ending story.

Harley: What happened this time?

Nila (cries): He told me to stay out of his life and not to interfere in his personal affairs.

Daniel: That's bad.

Harley: Why did he say that?

Nila: Well, he's been late in going to college so I scolded him. For a split second he really went mad. Also I have a feeling that he's hiding something. I've tried to ask him about that several times but he won't tell.

Leah: I have a feeling that he's having an affair with someone else in his college or work.

Daniel: Leah, Stop it! You should be comforting her and instead you're increasing her pain.

Leah: Gosh, I've been through this shit a lot and I can understand why a guy looses interest in his relationship.

Harley: You can't jump into sudden conclusions like that. There must be other reasons. Nila dont listen to her. He may be going through some tough time and is reluctant to share with you inorder not to make you upset.

Ana: Yeah. He too has his own tensions. You cannot see that cause you're here and he's there.

She wiped her tears.

Nila: Maybe you're right. I must find that out immediately. For that, I'm going to London this Friday.

All of them were shocked.

Harley: What? But we thought you had postponed it due to exams.

Nila: If I don't go, I wont get peace. I want to go and mend things between us. Sooner the better. Dont worry I'll be back by Sunday

Daniel: What about our practical sessions?

Nila: Cover that for me please. So that's decided. I'm off to London on Friday.

Later that Friday, in West UK

It was afternoon and Sooraj was inside the computer lab doing some work while Stacy entered in.

Stacy: Would you have time to spare?

His nerves flared on seeing him but still remained calm.

Stacy: I know you're angry with me so I'm here to sort out the issue.

Sooraj continued staring on the monitor screen.

Stacy: I'm talking to you Sooraj. Is this a way to treat me?

He got fed up and got up from his seat.

Sooraj: What do you want?

Stacy: See, I was thinking about the conflict we had before and I've got a perfect solution to it.

Sooraj(narrows his eyes): What?

Stacy: We could keep this relationship a secret.

Sooraj was shocked and he glared at her.

Stacy: I know you'll not be willing to have an open relationship so we can do it in secret. Nobody will know. Not even Nila.

Sooraj: You're indeed testing my patience. I'm not a person like you think. Now out!!

Stacy: Are you worried about her finding out? Just think. How's a person miles away gonna know about it? She will never know. No-one.

She edged closer to him with a sly smile and he moved away.

Sooraj: Stop. You're crossing a line.

Stacy: You're indeed a shy person. Aren't you? Come on, if it were another boy, he would have definitely said yes.

Sooraj was getting intimidated and he tried to move away from her while she edged closer to him.

Stacy: I love you so much. I don't care whether you have a girlfriend. I just want you to be mine, forever. I want you...only you.

Sooraj tried to run away but she hugged him forcefully and kissed him.  He went blank for a moment.

Aaaaaaaaah!!!!!

Sooraj: What the...

He looked behind to find Nila with her eyes wide open. She was tried to muffle down her screams emanating from her throat.

Her eyes began to overflow with tears as her heart broke into a million smithreens

Nila: How...how...could...you?

Sooraj: Nila, this is not what you think!!

Nila(screams): You cheat!!!!!

She ran away closing her mouth with her palm, crying.

Sooraj was so infuriated that he placed a tight slap on Stacy's face.

Sooraj: How dare you!!!! You ruined my life!!

Stacy fell on the chair and started crying while Sooraj ran behind Nila. His head was in a whirl. He had no idea of her visit and wanted to explain everything to her. He didn't want to lose her, but by the time he reached downstairs, she had gone.

Sooraj: No!!!! This can't be happening!!

He clutched his head and knelt on the ground, screaming his heart aloud.

Catherine Nila