hurt - s.h

you were that cliche girl. the girl who fell in love with her best friend who didn't love her back. it hurt you a lot. hearing your best friend complain about girls when you wished it was you he was loving and not somebody else. you were sat on Steve's bed, listening to him complain about him and Nancy, yet again. you felt as though every conversation you had with Steve was about her. he explained that they had an argument a party they went to the night before. from what you listened to, they were broken up.

"i just don't understand. i'm trying to look out for her and she breaks up with me" he stresses, his hands rubbing his face. "you know, she was probably just drunk. you'll be fine by tomorrow" you said, your voice quiet and sad. he looked up at you. you were looking down at your hands, he knew you too well. you did that when you were either stressed, upset or embarrassed. "hey, what's the matter" he said gently. "what? oh nothing sorry" you replied, looking up at him.

he gave you the 'i know you too well' look and you looked back down at your hands. "i need to go. i have stuff to do. see you later" you said as you got out of the bed and got your coat on. you were walking out the door when Steve shouted out to you. "no wait please, let me drive you home. it's too dark and it would kill me if anything happened to you" he said, catching up to you. you both put your shoes on and walked to the car. it was silent for most of the journey home before Steve spoke up.

"look, i'm sorry if i upset you. i didn't mean to." he said, taking his eyes off the road. you shrugged. "you didn't. it's fine" you replied, looking out the window, not making eye contact. he signed dramatically before turning his eyes back to the road. an awkward silence filled the car. the tension was awful. he turned up the radio to drown out the tension and started smiling when he heard what song was playing. it was 'Super Freak' by Rick James, it was your favourite. Steve looked over at you and realised you hadn't moved from your previous position.

"oh come on, now i know i've done something because you aren't even singing along. it's your favourite song" he said jokingly. "i'm fine Steve. i'm just not in the mood" you said quietly, almost silent. he could just about hear you. he arrived at your house and saw you immediately take off your seatbelt. he grabbed your hand before you could get out the car. "wait y/n. i'm sorry if i've done something wrong. can you tell me please so i can fix it?" he said, desperation in his tone. "no Steve. i'm fine" you said. there is was again. he only just realised that you said his full name instead of the nickname you gave him. you would usually call him 'Stevie' and he loved it, well, only when you said it.

he didn't like anyone else saying that name for him because it just made him feel weird. not even Nancy could call him that. he sighed again and let go of your hand, you opened the door quickly and got out "thanks Steve" you said as you closed the car door and walked into your house. "you're welcome" he said quietly to himself, he knew you wouldn't hear him. he saw you go into your house before he drove off. what could he possibly of done for you to be so upset at him? he was utterly confused.

the whole drive home back to his house he was thinking about you, not about his recent break up with Nancy, you. he was sad that you didn't stay around his house, he was sad that you would hardly speak to him, he was sad that he upset you. that whole night he was still thinking about you. he went to bed that night, upset, confused, angry. he didn't know what to do and this was one of the first times you had been off with him. he hadn't realised before but you had been off since he had spoke about Nancy. he realised mainly every conversation he had with you, he complained about Nancy. "shit" he said, realising his mistake.

he woke up the next day and got ready for work, he wouldn't be able to see you until Tuesday night when you usually met up at 'Family Video' where you would pick a film, go back to his, and laugh and talk about your problems. he got into his 'Scoops Ahoy' uniform and drove to the mall. he walked to 'Scoops Ahoy" and saw you standing behind the counter, talking to Robin, tears rolling down your face. she had he hand on your shoulder as she listened to you speak, you started full on sobbing and she pulled into her.  you heard the door bell ring as someone opened the door. you both looked up and saw Steve standing there, he walked fast to you.