dead? - s.h

this is a VERY angst imagine about Steve. i'm sobbing whilst writing this okay. this is an alternative ending of  Steve in the upside down.

you were sat on your bed, walkman on, reading your favourite book which you had read at least ten times before. with you being so focused, you didn't see Steve banging on your bedroom window. after at least five minutes of banging, you looked up to go get a drink of water but finally noticing Steve standing at the window. you took your walkman off and opened your bedroom window. "Steve? what are you doing here?" you said, pulling him into your bedroom. "why didn't you just knock on the door, my mums downstairs and she loves you" you carried on and waited for him to speak up. "look, i need you to listen to me." he said, taking ahold of your hands and pulling you to your bed.

"i'm going to do something tonight and i want you to know how much i love you" he said, you were confused as to where he was going with this conversation. "Steve? i love you too but i'm so confused. what's going on?" you replied. "i just need you to know okay? i have this letter for you and i only want you to open it unless something goes wrong." he said, putting the letter on your bed. you were still confused. why is he saying all this now?. "i'm doing something tonight which may go wrong and i need you to know how much i love you and how much you mean to me. you are the best thing that has ever happened to me." he said, putting his hands on your cheeks.

"Steve. what is going on? you're really scaring me" you said. this boy was giving you no hints. "i can't tell you okay? just wait until after okay and i'll tell you myself, hopefully, but if anything goes wrong i just wanted to tell you in person how much you mean to me" he replied, standing up. "Steve, you can't just come here and say that and not tell me what's going on" you snapped at him, you needed to know what's going on. "i'm going to the upside down." he said, stopping when he felt you hand on his shoulder. "Steve, the upside down? why are you going there now?" you said, why is he going there now?. "i need to okay? but please keep yourself safe. i need to know you're okay before i go." he said, turning back around to you.

"i'm scared okay? i don't wanna leave you but i'm doing this for Dustin." he said, tears welling up in his eyes. "Steve, baby, what are you doing this for hmm? are you trying to prove something? because if you are, you've already showed how amazing you are and you don't need to prove anything." you said, wiping the few tears that had fallen down his face. "i have to do this y/n. i have to protect everyone." he said, sniffling. you pulled him in for a hug and stroked his hair. "oh baby, you don't need to. you need to protect yourself." you said, you didn't want to lose him. that was one of your biggest fears.

"okay y/n. i need to go now but i mean it when i say do not open that letter unless something goes wrong okay?" he said, pulling out of the hug to look into your eyes. you nodded your head and wiped the rest of his tears. "i have to go now but i love you so so so much and you're the reason why i'm here today. you're the best this thats ever happened to me and i'm so happy that you're mine" he said. your heart melted, this boy had been your rock and here he is expressing his love for you. "i love you more Steve. please be safe and come back to me" you said, he nodded his head not so convincingly but he did. you pulled him in for a kiss and felt the hot tears fall onto your cheeks, he was still crying. "please don't cry my love, you'll be fine and i won't have to open that letter" you said, pulling away from the kiss. he sighed and let go of you. you stopped him before pulling him in for another hug. he pulled away after a few minutes and started climbing out the window. "Steve!" you shouted out to him just before he got into his car. he turned to face you and looked confused. "i love you" you shouted, you needed him to hear you say that. "i love you more" he shouted back before getting into his car and speeding off.

the whole night you were waiting. waiting for Steve to come back to you. it was about 5am when you heard a soft knock at your door. you were praying it was Steve and that you wouldn't have to open that letter he left you. you opened the door to see a silently sobbing Robin and Dustin who had a look of sympathy on his face. "where is Steve?" you said, looking behind them, hoping that this would all be a massive prank. Robin shook her head and pulled you in for a hug. you couldn't describe your emotions. the boy you loved was gone and there was nothing you could do. after an hour of Robin and Dustin being with you, you decided it was best if they left. you walked up stairs and read the letter that Steve had written for you. before you'd even opened the letter, your emotions got the best of you and the tears you had been holding in finally fell. you opened the letter and started to read.

"Dear y/n,
if you're reading this letter, obviously something has gone wrong and i'm not here anymore. i have no idea how to start off this letter than just say how much i love you. i would not be the man i was now if it wasn't you and i want to thank you for changing me into a better person. you are the whole reason why i was here and hearing your voice and seeing you every day made life worth living. i don't want you to feel sad that i'm gone, i want you to feel happy and remember the amazing times we had together. i miss you so much baby, i know how hard it will be for you now that i'm gone but please don't be cramped up in your room for weeks, go do the things on our bucket list! get out of Hawkins and keep yourself safe. i knew from the day i met you that you were the girl for me, you are beautiful, smart, caring, and all around an amazing girl. i would write more words to describe you but you'd be sat there with 50 pages of words. i want you to remember how much you meant to me and how much i wanted to start my own family with you. i could see myself growing old with you, watching our babies grow into the wonderful people i knew they would be and i'm so sorry i won't be able to make those dreams a reality. i don't want you to only be with me for the rest of your life, find someone who is better and treats you like the beautiful person you are and don't settle for a douche bag. please enjoy your life and don't ever forget me my love. i love you so much and i want you to live your life. now i'm signing off this letter because it's too hard to think of me not being there with you. i love you so much,
love from yours truly,
Steve xx'

your heart filled with sadness as you read each word he had written. this boy had made you happy and now you were here, sat on your bed with hot tears rolling down your face, alone.