shouting matches - j.k

you never thought you'd be in this situation, the worst argument you'd ever had with your boyfriend happening right now. it all started because Joe had been going out and wasn't coming back till early hours of the morning. it scared you. you didn't mind him going out but it had been happening for two weeks and the scary thoughts were in the back of your mind. was he cheating on you? where was he in these early hours of the morning? what would you do if something terrible happened to him? you had no idea how this calm talk changed into a shouting match between the two of you.

"do you really think it's okay to question me when all i do is work and come home? okay so what i've gone out a few times, you don't need to know my location every single second of every day" he shouted, you'd never seen him this angry in your whole four year relationship. "Joe that's not what i meant and you know it." you shouted back, your grandad had always told you, shouting was never the answer and when you shouted back, it would only make the situation worse but those words weren't in your head as you shouted. "then what did you mean hmm?" he egged on. he was being so difficult. "i just wanted to talk to you for once without you walking out to leave me here on my own. i wanted to spend some time with you." you said, trying to de-escalate the situation.

"that's bullshit. what were you really thinking y/n? speak your mind, you usually do so what's stopping you now?" he shouted, he looked furious. "fine, you really wanna know the thoughts that go through my head every single night when you're out? i wonder if you're cheating on me with someone else because i'm not good enough for you Joe, seeing as you're acting all big, are you cheating on me?" you yelled. Joe was shocked at your outburst. "no i'm not cheating, that's stupid of you to think. i'm going out with my friends, am i not allowed to do that now? am i under house arrest?" he yelled back, looking in the wardrobe as he looked for an outfit for his night out, again.

"no Joe i'm just sick of worrying about you when i'm here all alone" you said, getting up from your bed. you'd had enough with the arguing, you just wanted to tell him how he was making you feel and it felt like he was throwing it back in your face. "yeah well maybe i would be home more if you weren't so clingy and annoying all the time. i feel like i can't breathe when i'm around you because you cling to me like i'm going to disappear into thin air. now leave me alone, i need to get ready" he said, finally getting his point across. you were shocked. were you really that clingy that Joe went out every night to breathe? you nodded your head and grabbed your phone which was on the nightstand next to you.

you walked past Joe at a fast pace, trying to leave the house before he did. you put on Joe's hoodie which was discarded on the sofa and then slipped on your shoes, grabbing your car keys and walking out the front door. you slammed it which made Joe jump. he watched you through the bedroom window as you got into your car and sped off down the drive way. he sighed in annoyance. he didn't mean to say those things about you, he just wanted to get the point across that he wanted to go out with his friends but you obviously didn't understand that.

you were driving around in your car, you had no where to go. you'd moved away with Joe and didn't have anywhere you could stay. your friends were all over the place and messaging them definitely wasn't an option so you opted to just driving around to clear your mind. your driving took you to the beach, the beach was your favourite place. you exited the car, the cold air made goosebumps rise on your skin as you walked to the sand. why would Joe say those things? this whole relationship, you'd never had a full blown argument where you had to leave the house to calm down. you sat on the sand and turned your phone off, you didn't want to speak to anyone and turning it off just made you feel better.

sitting on the sand, listening to the waves calmed you. you sat there, remembering how the fight escalated. you watched as the moon rose into the night sky, it looked beautiful. you didn't want to go home to an empty house where you felt alone. Joe was out all the time and you just wanted to see your boyfriend once in a while. you sat there for hours, listening to the waves and the seagulls as the flew in the air, reminiscing the good times you had with Joe when he wasn't out partying all the time, leaving you alone. Joe didn't go out that night. he was sat at home, waiting for you to come back so you could talk it out. he'd phoned you at least 30 times, each time with no answer. anxiety and guilt ate him alive as he waited for you to phone him back. the many messages being left on delivered for hours and before he knew it, it was 2 o'clock in the morning and you still weren't home.

you had left at about 9pm. you'd been gone five hours and hadn't replied. he was worried. what if something had happened and he didn't know and the last thing he called you was clingy? he sat on the sofa, biting at his finger nails as he waited for you to get home. you'd decided it was best if you went home after sitting there in your thoughts. you'd been there, calming down for five hours and it was time to stop chickening out and speak to him about how you felt. you walked back to your car which was in the car park and turned your car on, starting the drive home. it took you about half an hour to get home. Joe was pacing, he was worried about you, he didn't know where you had got to and now you were missing.

he heard the car pull up in the drive way and looked out the window to see you getting out the car, alive and well. he was even more angry then before. when he heard you come into the house, his yelling immediately started. "where the fuck have you been y/n? i've been waiting for you all night and you finally decide to come home at a stupid time. what is wrong with you?" he screamed. you had barely put your foot in the door and he was already screaming at you. "Joe can we not do this now, i'm tired and i want to get some sleep" you said back, you sounded defeated as you tried to walk past him to get to the stairs. "no y/n we are going to talk about this right now." he shouted, following you as you walked up the stairs.

"Joe can you please stop shouting at me" you whispered, tears filling your eyes as you opened the bedroom door. "god y/n. i was so worried about you, you had me up all night waiting for you to come home, you didn't even answer my calls or messages. what if something happened to you and i didn't know hmm? would you have kept me waiting here all night before someone came to say they'd found you?" he shouted, looking at you as you walked around the bed. "no Joe. but if you think about it, this is the same exact thing that happens to me every night with you going out till early hours of the morning and i'm sat at home worried about you" you said back, you didn't want to shout anymore. you were sick of it and he was being hypocritical. he does the exact same thing every night and the one time you do it he's mad?

"this is completely fucking different y/n. i didn't know where you were and you just fucking left me here. i couldn't even go out because of you" he shouted again. was that all he really cared about? not going out. "Joe can you please stop-"you were trying to continue but the ugly sobs you had been holding in finally got let out. salty tears ran down your flustered cheeks as you put your head in your hands. Joe watched as you broke down, realising he'd been so harsh on you. he walked slowly to you as he watched sobs rake through your body. he slowly wrapped his arms around your body as you sobbed into your hands. "i'm sorry baby" he whispered as he kissed your forehead softly. this was entirely his fault and it all could have been avoided if he just stayed home and spent time with you.

"what's happened to you Joe? you've changed" you said, pulling away from his grasp. you brushed past him and walked out the room to the spare bedroom. you'd hoped he wouldn't follow you as you walked there. you opened the door and got into the bed, the unfamiliar feeling overwhelming you. you closed your eyes, hoping tomorrow would be a better day and that the argument would settle down. you fell asleep quite quickly after laying in the spare bed but felt cold due to you not being next to Joe. after a few hours of you sleeping, you felt someone carefully get into the bed next to you. "i'm sorry baby. i shouldn't have spoken to you like that" he whispered as he pulled you onto him.

as you were half asleep, you put your arms around his middle and laid your head on his chest. "i was so wrong to call you those things and i'm so so sorry for how i've been acting these past two weeks. i should have taken the time to appreciate you and i should have stayed home with you" he said, carrying on from his previous sentence. "Joe i don't care that you go out, it's the constant going out, leaving me at home all on my own when i just wanted to spend some time with you. i understand you want to see you friends and that's fine, it just really scared me when you wouldn't come home at the time you said you would. i thought something had happened" you said, head not leaving his chest, eyes still closed. "i know and i'm sorry. i should have stuck to my word and i'm sorry that you had to go through that." he said, kissing your forehead and stroking your hair. you nodded your head as a reply, too tired to even talk. "i'm going to make it up to you, i promise" he whispered before your mind drifted off.