baby number 2 - j.k

REQUESTED ON TUMBLR!! telling your toddler they're going to have a sibling, how cute!

you and Joe had been thinking of different ways to tell Poppy that she was going to be a big sister. you'd asked a few of your friends how they did it they said they just came out with it. Poppy loved affection. she loved cuddles, having her hair played with, having back rubs, even just having someone stroke her cheek was enough. when you thought about having another baby, you were quite worried that you wouldn't be able to keep up with how much affection Poppy wanted.

you'd never want her to feel unloved or under appreciated and you wanted to show her as much love as you could before the baby came, and even after the baby came, you wanted to keep up with that amount of affection for her and the baby. you'd just hit the 6 month mark of your pregnancy and you'd waited till you were showing before telling her and now, you were really showing. you'd covered it up with hoodies and baggy tops but with the hoodies, it was getting too hot to keep them on so now was the time you were going to tell Poppy.

you were in the living room with Joe and Poppy, waiting for the perfect moment to get her attention away from the tv. Joe coughed awkwardly before speaking up. "Poppy, me and mama need to speak to you about something" he said, making her look up from his chest. now, you'd heard from a few people about how toddlers took to the news of a new baby and you'd even seen videos online of their reactions and you were praying that she would be okay and that this wouldn't upset her.

Poppy was three years old and didn't always understand what was going on and she was actually very well behaved. she hardly had any tantrums and she listened to you and Joe if she'd done something naughty. she also used her manners and was kind to others which you were grateful for. she looked between you and Joe and waited for Joe to speak up.

"now, me and mama have been keeping this a secret but we think now is the best time to tell you." he said, you hated how he didn't just go out and say it but you didn't judge because you could not bring yourself to tell her. "me and mummy are having another baby. you're going to be a big sister" he said, looking at her. she kept quite for a minute before she got off of Joe and her arms wrapped around your neck.

she didn't sound like she was crying which was a good sign. you hugged her back and ran your hand through her hair. she got off you after a few minutes and then pulled out of the hug, moving herself between you and Joe. she lifted up your hoodie and saw that your belly had grown, her baby brother or sister was in there. she put her hand on your bump and stroked it softly. "baby?" she whispered, making sure she was feeling the right place. you nodded your head and smiled.

"that's right, baby is in there" you said, putting your hand next to hers, stroking the bump with her. "is it a sister?" she asked, looking at Joe. "we don't know yet love, but we want you to know that when the baby comes, nothing will change, we will just be 4 people instead of 3" he said, kissing her forehead as he watched from behind her.

after a few minutes of Poppy and you rubbing your belly, you felt the sudden flutter kicks. the baby had kicked Poppy's hand, making her retract her hand from your bump. "hey no it's okay, it's just the baby saying hello to you" you said, keeping your hand on your belly, letting her know it was okay. "does it hurt mama?" she questioned, putting her hand back on your belly cautiously. you shook your head and smiled.

"it doesn't hurt baby, it's the baby letting me know it's okay and that it can hear us" you said, your heart swelling at the thought of your baby being able to hear you. "it can hear?" she said, eyes widening at the thought. Joe nodded and spoke up. "mama sings to them all the time. she did the same thing when she was pregnant with you" he said, his hand now on your belly. she looked up at him then back at your belly.

she let her head fall and gently rest it on your bump. you took your hand off your bump and ran it through her hair gently. "hi baby" Poppy said, ear resting on your belly as she spoke. the baby kicked right next to her head and she gasped, eyes laughing up. Joe watched the two of you as you interacted with the baby in your tummy. his heart swelled as he saw Poppy get excited over the baby's kicks. you were his girls and he loved watching the two of you.