Dreary

The north is a dreary place especially winterfell. Especially when the lord and lady stark are constantly at each others throats.

Catelyn did never quite forgive Ned for the affair but they tried tog et along, it was so early in their marriage both boys about the same age, within the same year... it hurt her, that her husband was unfaithful so soon and to man up and take the bastard child! Unbelievable! Why couldn't he just claim it wasn't his like every other noble? But they tried to make things work, Cately tried her best to keep Jon away from her and Her children but as jon got older he was less avoidable. But their spark had gone out many years ago. Their youngest Rickon was 7 and it had been seven lonely years since then. Only a peck on the cheek here or there or when company was present, they no longer slept in the same bed and rarely spoke. But the addition of the royal family was going to be a welcomed distraction from their usual bickering.

'Lord Stark... Mi'lady, the guardsmen just rode in from the hills they caught a deserter from the nights watch.'

'Get the lads to settle their horses.' Ned told Theon and he headed off.

'Do you have to?' Catelyn asked incredulously

'He swore an oath cat.' Ned reminded her.

'The laws, the law mi'lady.'

'Tell Bran he is coming to.' ned added.

'Ned. 10 is too young to see such things.' Catelyn informed him.

'He won't be a boy forever,' Ned reminded her, 'and winter is coming.' He said walking off.

'I know I broke my oath, I know I am a deserter. I should've gone back but I saw what I saw. I saw the white walkers!' the boy told Ned scared out of his mind. 'I need to get word to my family. I need to tell them... tell them I'm sorry.' Ned nodded and his men put the boys head down Ned pulled his sword forward.

'In the name of Robert of the house Baratheon and first of his name king of the andals-' ned began.

'Don't look away' Jon told bran 'he will know if you do.'

'Lord of the seven kingdoms and protector of the realm. I lord Eddard the house Stark, Lord of Winterfell and warden of the north sentence you to die.' He lifted his sword bringing it down quickly upon the deserter.

'You did well,' Jon told Bran. Ned approached his son.

'Do you understand why I did it?' Ned questioned him.

'Jon said he was a deserter,' Bran said while fiddling with his horses saddle.

'Do you understand why I had to kill him.' Ned clarified.

'It is the old way,' bran told him. Ned nodded

'The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.' Ned reminded him.

'Is it true about the white walkers?' Bran asked

'White walkers have been gone for thousands of years,' Ned assured him.

'so he was lying?' Bran questioned.

'The man sees what he sees,' Ned told him. 'Time to go home.'