Renly

'lord stark a moment,' renly requested. 'alone if you will?' ned followed Renly off. 'he named you protector of the relm. She wont care. Give me an hour and I can give you 100 men.'

'what can I do with 100 men?' ned questioned.

'attack, in the night, we take joffrey into custody. every moment you delay gives cersei time to prepare. By the time Robert dies it will be too late for us.'

'what of princess sasha? She is the rightful heir.' Ned reminded him.

'she is a woman she will never rule without a man at her side. She is unwed and has no children. She has no claim.' Sasha listened from behind the pillar, ouch, that hurt she thought her and renly were friends. Ned shook his head though. sasha was already a better leader than Robert ever was.

'what about stannis?'ned questioned.

'save the seven kingdoms from cersei and give them to stannis?' He asked incredulously. You have odd notions of protecting the realm.'

'stannis is your older brother.'

'the line of succession doesn't matter, it didn't matter when you rebelled against the mad king.' Renly reminded him. 'It shouldn't matter now. whats best for the kingdoms whats best for the people. We know what stannis is he inspires no trust or loyalty. I do.' Renly told him.

'Stannis is a commander. Hes lead men into war twice, he destroyed a Greyjoy fleet.' Ned reminded him.

'yes hes a great solider so was Robert tell me do you believe good soldiers make good kings?' Renly countered.

'I will not honor Roberts last hours by shedding blood in these halls'. Ned informed him. 'And dragging frightened children form their beds.'