Chapter 5 - Qualifying

Wu Jin hugged the gun and happily followed Wei Shi.

The resource lines downstream of the river were unusually rich and, nine hours after the start of the game, the contestant activity there was much higher than anticipated--most contestants had chosen to actively move around.

Wei Shi brought Wu Jin with him and barreled straight in without any resistance; the crack of a gunshot could be heard every now and then.

Each shot took down a little friend.

To Wu Jin's surprise, most of the contestants were operating alone at this time.

"Team restrictions." Wei Shi explained, "Player alliances can't exceed four hours."

Wu Jin immediately became nervous again when he heard. He trotted up, "Big brother! Does that mean I can't stay with you the whole time..."

Wei Shi made a 'Mmm' sound, obviously unconcerned about this point.

Wu Jin felt a sudden stabbing sense of crisis, and a bleak scene sketched itself out in his mind--

Himself, lying cold and lonely on the ground. On a hill in the distance, the big boss was talking and laughing with a newly picked up salted fish.

Wind and water would come full circle, and little brothers could be changed at any time...

Wei Shi saw him standing there in a daze and frowned, "Do you understand the rules now?"

Wu Jin hurriedly nodded repeatedly and tried to sum it up, "The longest truce time and team formation time are like attraction and repulsion forces that constrain the players' behavior. The watches are responsible for monitoring the players' movements within the field. Resources--resources are used to lock down and guide the entire front lines of the fighting?"

Wei Shi glanced at him and was a little surprised. He spoke in a low, considering tone, "It seems that you aren't completely silly?"

Wu Jin: "......" His originally sparkling, flashing small eyes were now round and full of grievances that he didn't dare to say out loud.

Wei Shi: "Ask if you have a question."

Wu Jin raised his hand, "Why not prohibit players from forming teams at all?"

Wei Shi kept moving, the gun still smoking as he brought it back. The hot muzzle brushed past Wu Jin, almost making the small curls recoil the other way from the heat.

Wu Jin quivered as he stumbled back two steps, and then he heard big boss's impatient words. "In a reality show, the audience doesn't want to see people lose their lives in one shot. They want to see player interaction, which has entertainment value. Find a video recording to watch after the audition."

In the sweep that followed, Wu Jin's performance was full of zeal.

He shot when told to shoot, went to outflank the enemy when told to go forth, when told to throw himself to the ground, he would obediently press himself flat to the ground with a 'thump', then climb up cleverly and quietly when Wei Shi was done, brushing the mud and dirt off his hands.

It was unknown if it was by accident or design, but along the way, Wu Jin harvested all the kills while the big boss handed down all the orders.

Even if there was a scuffle, Wei Shi would brazenly go up and engage them in a gunfight, but the final hit would still be reserved for Wu Jin, who was hiding in the grass.

--If he delayed by even a single second when making that last shot, he would be ruthlessly reprimanded by the big boss.

Wei Shi: "Not shooting?"