Chapter 34.2- Butterfly

“New clue!” In the moment that Wu Jin spoke up, Zoe’s expression recovered slightly. The team’s bullet reserve could only support them for three waves at most, but the program team wouldn’t design a dead end for them. Every clue was the potential key for them to get out of there.

“Silver ammonia withered leaf butterfly, modified camouflage coloring gene. Wing materials were modified by injecting ammonia and silver nitrate into the cocoon...” Wu Jin almost choked. This was different from the first clue that was both simple and straightforward. The second clue filled up close to two full sheets of A4 paper. It was as though the program team had printed out an entire research paper on the insect.

The first round of shooting ammunition had nearly been exhausted. Zoe took Caesar’s place while Caesar loaded up a second round of bullets. His voice was a little hoarse when he opened his mouth, “Little Witch!”

Wu Jin didn’t answer. His heartbeat was thundering in his ears.

He glanced through the papers. The many professional terms of the current era exceeded his understanding that came from a thousand years ago. Fortunately, his short-term memory from the assessment preparation over the past week helped him filter out most of the words––

Wu Jin squinted his eyes slightly, his fingertips covering a certain place, “The silver ammonia withered leaf king butterfly is protected by butterflies. Wings are a dark matte color, wingspan 38cm, grayish brown insect body. The aggressiveness of the silver ammonia butterflies are induced by the king butterfly––Quick, look for a dark, foggy mirror!”

Zoe nodded quickly. Instead of looking for it immediately, he replaced his gun with a sniper rifle and went to stand against the wall in the distance.

The swarm of butterflies continued their fierce offensive, completely unaffected by their actions. A sharp edged wing cut across Zoe’s arm, leaving a bloody wound.

In the next moment, the defensive gap beside Zoe was filled, with Wu Jin vigorously waving the butt of the gun, bashing the mutated butterfly against the wall.

Zoe: “... Why don’t you shoot?”

Caesar laughed, “Little Witch’s shooting may not be accurate, but his bashing is quite fierce––there’s no need to bring a gun next time, just ask the program team for a mallet.”

Wu Jin’s eyes widened, and his right hand wrapped around the handle, pulling the trigger.

Before the match, his static target average was seven rings, but his preview speed was still poor when compared to that of his teammates. Just now, the situation had been critical, and his first reaction had been to bash.

With Caesar’s joke, the tense and dignified atmosphere from before finally relaxed slightly.

Zoe shot at the opposing wall once again––the mutant butterflies seemed to be acting on instructions as they flowed on around the bullet.

“It’s close!” Wu Jin’s eyes brightened.

Zoe paused for three seconds, his gaze switching between the shifting butterflies and the mirror until he finally noticed a place that was covered by layers of protection, yet still revealed a grayish brown antenna&#k2013;&#k2013;

The gun went off.

On the broken mirror, the king butterfly struggled to launch itself into the air, only to turn into a small silver life-saving capsule, bouncing and tumbling as it rolled off the wall and fell to the ground.

The mutant butterflies that were like mobile silver knives suddenly lost their aggression, flapping in the air several times before once again latching into position on the mirrored walls.