Chapter 20- Extreme Temperatures

The slightly hotter temperature seeped into the core of his palm.

The soil was divided into an unnatural series of layers. The surface was dark and sticky, while the middle layer was dry and grey. It showed occasional cracks and was hard, like it had been roasted in fire.

––The heat source was buried under the soil.

The entire area had begun to heat up at least two hours before the first player had landed.

Wu Jin’s eyebrows jumped up.

All the clues were finally stitched together.

The harsh conditions for this elimination match weren’t based on hurricanes or rainstorms, but rather an artificial high-heat ‘melting pot’ within the closed arena environment.

The ground temperature was still rising.

The program team would weed through all the contestants and redetermine their rankings within 24 hours.

In other words, the temperature in the field would rise to a level human beings could no longer tolerate within 24 hours.

Hidden amidst of broad-leaved trees, Wu Jin quickly opened up his backpack and went through his existing supplies.

A modified firearm with a rough and crude barrel and an empty chamber. It was paired with twelve rounds of ammunition, the lead shells coated in a layer of black lacquer.

Wu Jin tried to stuff the firearm into his backpack, but the butt of the gun poked out regardless––he was forced to hold the gun in his hand.

It was very possible that there was no gun more useless than this one that could be found in the entire field.

It was clearly the size of a rocket launcher, but it was at the very bottom in terms of firepower and definitely wouldn’t be able to support him until the very end.

Frustration flashed across Wu Jin’s eyes for a moment, and then when he opened up his supplies bag––it simply plummeted down into despair.

Within fifteen minutes, the only items he had managed to find were a bundle of rope, a magnesium bar, and some straws.

No water.

In a high temperature environment, water was the scarcest resource.

It was still dark, and the wind was cool as it blew across the sparsely vegetated hills.

But by the time the water finished evaporating and the sun rose up in the morning––according to the current heating trend, when geothermal heat was paired with sunlight, standing out in the open air would be like being doused with hot water. No contestant would be able to survive in this kind of extreme environment.

He wasn’t sure if only the area he was in was like this, or if it was the same situation for the entire map.

Regardless of whether it was to avoid the heat or to go find water, he had to get out of here.

Wu Jin quickly packed up his bag, folded up his parachute and put it together with his supplies, then walked deeper into the woods––

His movements stopped abruptly, and he swiftly hid behind some rocks.

There were footsteps in the distance.

In the Crosson broadcast room, Axel was still commenting at great lengths on the landings of the second batch of contestants when he suddenly received a message.

––Due to strong requests from the audience, please be sure to give contestant Wu more than twenty seconds of camera time.

Axel had no choice but to look up Wu Jin’s coordinates. He accessed the live camera, then raised his eyebrows up in surprise.