Chapter 2: Team RWBY

3rd Person POV

Remnant

"Um... what do we do?" Ruby whispered, leaning toward Weiss and as she kept her eyes on Sincline, the two sides facing off as small flickers of energy twisted around the mech's talons. The other girls kept their weapons trained on the newcomer, all five waiting for the other side to make their move.

"You're the team leader, aren't you?" Weiss hissed back. She glanced at Yang. "Whatever you do, don't attack. If he or she could do that to the Grimm...."

"Pretty sure it's a guy, but fine," Yang huffed, changing her gauntlets back into their bracelet form as Weiss, Blake, and Ruby followed her lead.

As the girls lowered their weapons, Sincline did the same, the energy around his hands dispersing. Either way, he didn't lower his guard. After what happened on Oriande... he wasn't taking any chances. "Who... are... you?" he asked, his voice raspy from months of disuse. Surprised at the sound of his own voice, Sincline tilted his head ever so slightly.

"Uh, my name's Ruby, leader of Team RWBY," Ruby introduced awkwardly and gestured to her teammates. "This is Weiss, Yang, and Blake. We're Huntresses from Beacon."

"Beacon?" Sincline asked, his voice coming out clearer. While mostly human, it had a synthetic undertone.

(A/N) When in armor, Sincline's voice will sound similar to Vali Lucifer's when he has his Balance Breaker activated.

"The main Huntsmen academy," Ruby explained. "One of the best in all of Remnant."

"Huntsmen?" Where's Remnant? Sincline wondered and quickly checked his star charts, missing the confused glances of the four Huntresses.

"You don't know what a—" Weiss started, but Blake cut her off, whispering, "I don't think he knows anything about this place. He just appeared out of nowhere and look at his armor. Even Atlas is not that advanced. I don't think he's from Remnant."

Nodding, Weiss turned back to Sincline as the Trans-reality mech finished running through all the star charts he had stored in his database... much to his confusion. "What planet am I on?" he asked carefully. Maybe it's in an undiscovered sector, he thought.

"Planet?" Ruby echoed in confusion.

Sincline nodded, waiting patiently as his gaze flicked from one Huntress to the next, taking note of their respective features: his gaze lingering on Ruby with a flicker of curiosity longer than the others. He could sense... something. Something familiar. Her energy signature... it's similar to the one that brought me back, he thought with a jerk of surprise.

"You're on Remnant, in the Emerald Forest," Yang answered, eyeing Sincline uneasily.

Sincline nodded again, accepting the answer while still mulling the new data over.

"What do we do now?" Weiss whispered, glancing at Ruby as the other girls did the same.

"Maybe we could take him back to Beacon," Blake whispered, unaware that Sincline was listening to their conversation. "It's your call, Ruby."

Ruby nodded and turned her gaze to Sincline, who was regarding them silently, head tilted curiously. "What's your name?" she asked, hoping to get on better terms so that no one was tempted to kill each other.

Sincline hesitated. They hadn't recognized his armor, so they probably didn't know about anything beyond their solar system.... Maybe even beyond their planet. I'm trying to be different, aren't I? he thought. I'm not gonna trust them right away, but still... "Sincline," he decided. "My name is Sincline."