Chapter 29: Battle of the Breach

3rd Person POV

Beacon

"I'm sure they're fine," Pyrrha assured as she, Jaune, Ren, and Nora walked toward the Bullhead to begin their mission. Just before waking up, Jaune had received a call from Ruby. He had answered, only for the connection to cancel out seconds later, much to his worry.

"You think?" Jaune asked uncertainly.

"Probably a butt dial," Nora said easily.

"Team RWBY has always performed exceptionally in the field," Ren assured. "We should be focusing on our own mission." There was a hidden sense of eagerness in his voice that very few would have picked up.

"We're going to be deputies!" Nora said cheerfully, but her gaze flicked to Ren knowingly.

Jaune sighed. "I've just got this feeling... I don't know." It had been eating at him all morning, and he couldn't shake it. All he knew... was that something was wrong.

Pyrrha placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "Jaune, I'm sure they're..." She trailed off as the sound of sirens tore through the air.

Looking up, the four of them saw a pillar of smoke rising from the direction of the city. And, very faintly, they could hear the horrible, gut-wrenching sound of bloodcurdling screams.

The four of them exchanged looks.

"We're changing our mission," Jaune ordered, his gaze fixed on the dark smoke rising above the city. "Everyone on board!"

Nodding, Pyrrha followed her boyfriend's lead, Ren and Nora bringing up the rear as they dashed into the Bullhead.

As Ren rushed past him, Jaune placed a hand on his shoulder, causing him to stop. "Ren, we'll make it out to that village another time." Ren nodded, albeit reluctantly, and the two of them rushed into the Bullhead. "Take us into the city!" Jaune ordered.

The pilot nodded, and the Bullhead lifted into the air before turning toward Vale.

Down below, Cinder watched silently as the Bullhead flew off toward the city.

"You don't think..." Emerald trailed off as she and Mercury walked up beside Cinder.

"Sure looks like it," Mercury said, his eyes narrowed. Does this have something to do with why they went back a few days ago? he wondered.

"That's still days away," Emerald protested.

Mercury glanced at Cinder. "So, what do we do?"

Her eyes narrowed.

With Sincline

Drawing his scimitars, his armor materializing around him, Sincline's tail flicked as Grimm surrounded him and the others, the mech-turned-human counting over a hundred at least. He glanced at Ruby, who nodded, and the Grimm charged. "Come on!"

His thrusters igniting, Sincline shot forward and slammed into the Grimm's ranks like a hurricane, his swords flashing like lightning as he cut down Beowolves and Ursa alike with practiced ease, geysers of dark, oily blood spraying around him only to dissipate seconds later.

Aiming her scythe behind her, Ruby pulled the trigger and fired, the recoil sending her flying into the fray. Splitting a Beowolf from shoulder to hip in a geyser of tar-like gore, she slammed her scythe into the ground. Spinning on her scythe, Ruby kicked the Beowolves back. As the last of the Beowolves retreated, Ruby landed on her feet, grinned at Sincline, and lunged into the fray once more as he did the same.