Chapter 8: A Minor Hiccup

3rd Person POV

Port's Class

"I think you were right," Sincline murmured as he and the rest of Team RWBY watched while Port droned on through another one of his lectures, Ruby seated to his right with Pyrrha at his left. "I'd definitely rather be fighting Grimm than doing... whatever this is." Honestly, he was certain that not even the Galra could come up with something as torturous as this.

"See, I tried to warn you," Ruby sighed, idly doodling on the edge of the paper as she glanced at him, her silver eyes meeting his momentarily before she turned back toward the ongoing lecture.

"Just try to look like you're paying attention," Yang advised, glancing at him before turning back to where she was toying with a pencil. "That or try to drown out Port's yammering some other way."

Nodding, Sincline glanced around the classroom and saw Jaune sliding over next to Weiss, who was staring at her scroll's clock. Oh boy... well, at least I'll have something to watch, Sincline thought and rested his elbows on his desk as he prepared for the inevitable. He wasn't disappointed.

"So, Weiss," Jaune began. "You know, uhh... I was thinking after this that... maybe we could go grab a bite to eat?"

Weiss remained silent, eyes locked on her scroll's clock.

"And... uh... you know, well, I've got two tickets to that new Spruce Willis movie if you want to make the trip to Vale," Jaune went on to Sincline's amazement. "I heard it's awesome!"

Shaking his head, Sincline glanced at Pyrrha, who was watching the exchange with a strange expression on her face. "What's he doing?"

"Still trying to get Weiss's attention," Pyrrha sighed, her face crestfallen as she rested her head on her hand, elbow on the table.

Sincline tilted his head. "And that's... bad?" he asked slowly, trying to make sure he was understanding her right.

"No, no!" Pyrrha corrected hurriedly, waving her hands. "It's just that... well... I...."

"You want it to be you," Sincline guessed. By the resulting look of shock on Pyrrha's face, he got it right.

Staring at Sincline for a long moment, Pyrrha silently berated herself. While he may seem oblivious at times to things she thought 'normal,' Sincline was far more observant than she gave him credit for.

"So... you like him?" Sincline asked, nodding down at Jaune as he tried, and failed, to get Weiss to respond.

"No!" Pyrrha replied hastily, her face burning red as she turned away from Sincline. "No, he's my friend. Just... my friend."

"Okay...?" If she likes him, why doesn't she just tell him? Sincline wondered. Deciding to add yet another file to his growing list, he turned back to Jaune and Weiss as the blond-haired Huntsman continued his attempts.

"Aaaaaand... then maybe after that we could study together?" Jaune offered. "I mean you're smart, and I'm, uh... you know...."

I don't think you should finish that sentence, Sincline thought. Thankfully, before Jaune could mess up so bad that Weiss would kill him, the bell rang, and the Heiress practically bolted to her feet.

"And then I..." Port trailed off. "Oh, uh... timed that one wrong, I guess. Well, the stunning conclusion to this story will have to wait! Until next time...."