Chapter 46: Lessons Learned

3rd Person POV

Amity Arena

"The randomization process is complete!" Port called over the stadium's speakers. "Ladies and gentlemen, your Doubles Tournament line-up!" The crowd erupted into cheers as Port announced, "Emerald and Mercury of Haven versus Coco and Yatsuhashi of Beacon!"

"This is gonna be fun," Sincline said as Ruby sat on his lap, her head on his shoulder as Accalia curled up at his side on the seat next to them.

"Well, I know who I'm gonna be rooting for," Yang commented, her gaze locked on the grey-haired teen below as he and Emerald faced off against Coco and Yatsuhashi.

With a metallic groan, the arena changed into four sections: a battered urban city, a large field with tall grass, a forest, and a large area of boulders covered in water and geysers.

As the crowd cheered, Coco tipped her glasses at Emerald. "Hey. Love the outfit, kid."

"I'll try not to get blood on it," Emerald replied with a smirk.

Sighing, Yatsuhashi got to his feet from his meditation position. "I can't promise you'll leave without a scratch," he stated, drawing his sword with an ominous ring and brandishing it in one hand.

"I won't be the one bleeding," Emerald countered.

"Oh, I like her," Coco commented.

"Not if you knew her," Mercury muttered, earning an elbow to the ribs from Emerald. Rolling his eyes, he assumed a fighting stance as Emerald did the same.

"Three, two, one, begin!" Port shouted.

Exchanging looks, Mercury and Emerald slowly backed into the field behind them, disappearing into the tall grass.

Glancing at Yatsuhashi, Coco unfurled her handbag into her minigun and opened fire, mowing down the grass in front of her. After several seconds, Coco hefted her minigun as the smoke cleared, revealing no sign of Mercury or Emerald. "Huh?" She and Yatsuhashi looked around, but neither member of the enemy team was to be found.

"Look out!" Blake shouted.

Falling from above, Mercury aimed a kick at Coco, only for Yatsuhashi to intercept with his blade. Slamming into Yatsuhashi's weapon with both feet, Mercury kicked off it, landing lightly. Coco opened fire, and Mercury darted forward, running in an arc toward them almost parallel to the ground.

"He's pretty good," Yang commented.

"Yeah, but where's Emerald?" Blake asked, looking around.

Jumping over Coco and landing between her and Yatsuhashi, Mercury spun, delivering a kick to Coco as he twisted into the air to deliver a brutal blow to Yatsuhashi. He spun again, landed another kick to Yatsuhashi's head, and sent him staggering backward.

Coco aimed her minigun and opened fire, but Mercury shot into the air. Landing on Coco's minigun and kicking her in the face, Mercury backflipped, positioning himself so that he had Coco with her minigun pinned against Yatsuhashi's torso.

Eyes narrowing, Coco changed her minigun back into a handbag and swung at Mercury's head, only for him to backflip out of the way. Landing on his hands, he sprung to his feet, launching a pair of spiraling Dust shells toward them.

Raising their weapons, Coco and Yatsuhashi deflected the rounds causing them to explode behind them. Looking up, their eyes widened at seeing Mercury perform an air flare in the midst of a tornado of Dust bullets.