Chapter 5: A Different Kind of Fight

3rd Person POV

Beacon

"So... these are pancakes?" Sincline asked, looking down at the plate in front of him. It had been two days since his initiation, and he was currently sitting with Weiss, Blake, and Yang at their table opposite Team JNPR. Ruby had gone off somewhere earlier and, after careful consideration, Sincline figured he'd find out one way or another where she went.

"Yep!" Nora said happily, popping up next to him with a pancake stuffed halfway into her mouth.

Honestly, Sincline was surprised at how easily he had become accustomed to Nora's shenanigans. Maybe her ability to seemingly teleport around like Ruby had something to do with it.

"Go on, try one," Yang encouraged, earning looks of surprise from Blake and Weiss respectively. Seeing their gazes, she shrugged. "What?"

"I thought you didn't like Sincline after... you know..." Weiss trailed off, glancing at Nora as the orange-haired girl happily munched on a syrup-covered pancake.

"Nah, we're good," Yang assured, clapping Sincline on the shoulder and nearly causing his face to slam into the table. "Don't get me wrong; I'm still gonna keep an eye on him."

I think I liked her better when she just glared at me, Sincline thought, rolling his shoulder and earning a sharp series of cracks. That was probably the worst thing about his human form: lack of armor.

"Well, go on," Yang encouraged, nudging his side and nodding toward the plate. "Trust me, they're the same—"

Nora glared at her, and Sincline could have sworn he saw miniature bolts of lightning at the edges of her eyes.

"Uh, I mean they're much better than waffles," Yang corrected hastily. "Yup. Much better. Definitely." She gave Nora a thumbs up, laughing nervously, and the orange-haired girl relaxed.

Deciding that he should hurry before Nora turned her attention on him, Sincline stabbed one of the pancakes (which Nora had insisted on coating with syrup) with a fork and took a bite. His eyes lit up. "This is amazing!"

As Sincline dug in, Nora grinned and hopped back to her table, taking a seat beside Ren. "See? I told you he'd like it," she said proudly.

Ren sighed, dragging a hand across his face. "Nora... know what? Forget it."

"That's probably for the best," Pyrrha agreed, stifling a laugh with her hand.

As Sincline tore into the pancakes, he heard someone moving beside him and turned to find Yang sliding over next to Blake. "So... whatcha doing?" the blond-haired Huntress asked.

"Nothing!" Blake replied hastily, closing the book she had been staring at for quite some time. "Just going over notes from last semester."

"Lame!" Yang opened her mouth and caught a grape launched via Nora. Grinning wickedly, Nora took aim and fired again, sending another grape flying toward Yang, who caught and ate it too.

Just then, a large, heavy binder slammed onto the table, courtesy of Ruby, causing Sincline to jump and nearly drop the pancake he had been about to eat. What the—how did I not see her coming? he wondered, glancing from Ruby to the binder on the table. It had probably once been Weiss's, but the label had been crossed out and replaced with the title 'Best Day Ever Activities!'.

Ruby cleared her throat. "Sisters! Friends! Weiss..."

"Hey!"

"Four score and seven minutes ago, I had a dream," Ruby went on, ignoring Weiss's protests. "A dream that one day, the five of us would come together, as a team, and have the most fun anyone has ever had, ever!"