Chapter 71: Aftermath

3rd Person POV

Beacon Tower

"Today... is a solemn day," Ironwood said. He stood on a balcony located just below the top of Beacon tower, the rising sun casting a shadow over the massive crowd gathered in Beacon's courtyard. Interlaced throughout the crowd, hundreds of White Fang, Atlesian soldiers, Huntsmen, Huntresses, and refugees stood together, their heads held high.

Standing beside Ironwood, Qrow leaned on his sword, Raven, Summer, and Tai at his side as Winter, Kali, Sienna, Ghira, Robyn (who had arrived with the rest of the Atlesian survivors several months ago) and Goodwitch stood on the other, their eyes shining with unshed emotion. They had lost many during the war against Salem. Survivors were still trickling in, but of the many lives that had existed in the kingdoms before the war... only 50,000 remained on Remnant.

"Today, we look back at the lives that have been lost," Ironwood continued. He turned his gaze to where Sincline stood with Ruby, Weiss, Yang, Mercury, Blake, Pyrrha, Jaune, Nora, and Ren. "Today, we look at the sacrifices that have been made, not even 24 hours ago, in the Land of Grimm, in the Land of Darkness."

Looking down, Sincline gently squeezed Ruby's hand as he and many others bowed their heads, acknowledging their fallen comrades as Ironwood spoke their names:

Penny: A girl born of Atlas technology, yet as human as any of them, her body torn apart before their eyes as part of a sinister plan to destroy Beacon.

Aspen: A girl corrupted by an entity, momentarily freed only to die later in the Battle of Remnant, her body pierced by Nevermore feathers as she attempted to shield her teammates.

Thorn: A girl of mysterious origins, who gave her life on the field, her body torn in half by a Cenitaur as she protected an unknowing White Fang soldier from the waiting Grimm.

Flynt, Neon... the list of names went on and on, yet Ironwood spoke of each one. They had each given their lives for the rest to survive... and their sacrifices would not go unacknowledged.

Clenching his teeth, Jace nodded at the mention of his deceased lover and teammates as he and Solara stood together, the only two who remained of their team. Roman and Neo stood next to them as well, two criminals now welcome among the crowd.

"There isn't one of us here today who hasn't experienced the pain of losing someone to the forces of Darkness," Ironwood went on, his voice strong and even. "It truly feels like... a light has gone out in our lives. It feels as though the sun itself couldn't reignite it."

Yet the sunlight glinted, catching on the glass of several hundred portraits that lined the courtyard walls, their names engraved in shining plaques of silver against the cold stone, their faces projected onto the walls.

"But that light," Ironwood continued, his voice gaining strength. "That fire... has not gone out completely."

Blake rested her hand on Sincline's shoulder. At the same time, Mercury and Yang exchanged half-smiles, and Pyrrha squeezed Jaune's hand reassuringly. Smiling, Roman ruffled Neo's hair, and Nora bopped Ren on the nose as Solara and Jace exchanged sad, but relieved smiles.

In the shadows behind them, a single figure stood with his arms crossed. A black eyepatch covered his left eye as his black leather jacket and dark hair waved in the wind, his wolf ears twitching as his tail wagged. His skin was pale, almost white, his scars blending effortlessly as his remaining silver eye gleamed. His jeans had been repaired, and his arms were adorned with bone-like bracers that extended toward his elbows.