Chapter 55: The Storm Approaches

3rd Person POV

Amity Arena

"And now, for the moment you've all been waiting for..." Port announced over the loudspeakers, his booming voice echoing across the stadium. "The one-on-one finals!"

The crowd burst into cheers, the sound almost deafening. In the arena below, Sincline stood in a line along with nine other students. Yang, Sun, Mercury, and Penny stood to his left while Pyrrha and four other students stood to his right. Glancing at Pyrrha, Sincline smiled, and she returned the gesture.

"Barty, why don't you explain the rules?" Port asked.

"Ah, it's quite simple, Peter," Oobleck answered. "Instead of a bracket system, each round of the finals will be randomly determined immediately before the match takes place."

"Much like any good hunt, there will be zero time to prepare," Port agreed.

"Ah, yes, yes. Now, let's see who our first match will be," Oobleck declared, and the screens surrounding the top of the arena started scrolling. Eventually, the screens settled, the rotations halting. On the left of each screen was a picture of Sincline, and on the right was an image of a young woman with long, light blue hair and sharp blue eyes.

"And it seems our first fight will be... Sincline Yamato of Beacon vs Esdeath of Atlas," Port announced, his voice barely heard over the cheers of Beacon and Atlesian students alike.

"You can do it, Sincline!" Ruby cheered from the stands. Weiss, Blake, Jaune, Nora, and Ren also cheered while Accalia barked happily. It had taken a while, but thanks to Accalia's constant appearance in public, many had become used to her presence.

"Would all other combatants please leave the stage," Port called.

Nodding at Sincline, Pyrrha walked off. Yang and Mercury followed her lead and joined the others in the stands while the rest of the combatants walked off to join their respective teammates.

Dipping his head, Sincline turned and walked to the center of the arena as Esdeath did the same, her high-heeled boots clicking against the arena floor. She wore a general's apparel with long sleeves with buttons on the upper arms and a blue scarf on her neck.

"So, you are the one called Sincline," Esdeath stated, stopping twenty feet away from Sincline as the mech-turned-human did the same, a hard silence falling upon the arena as the two faced off

"And you must be Esdeath," Sincline replied, dipping his head respectfully as Esdeath did the same. "Third year?" She's not going to be an easy fight, he thought. The way she's walking... she's experienced. Not to mention she's in the finals, which already means she's beaten as many opponents as I have.

"Fourth. You?"

"First."

Esdeath raised an eyebrow. "You've come far. But sadly, your reign of victory ends here." He's no stranger to combat, she thought, examining his stance. A master swordsman from the looks of him and what I've heard. Still, a semblance that allows him to teleport and increase his Aura to the point where the board registers it as infinite...